Malwarebytes left me high and dry

Discussion in 'Windows XP Security' started by Chiron, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Chiron

trimis

I never fool with the DIY approach. I once asked how to burn a movie onto DVD, and it was like a ten to twenty step process...I'd bet making it bootable, and doing the checksum would add to that. I buy Linux discs already done up. Now that OSDisc is belly-up, I either get them from Ebay or have the local PC shop do it. Worth $10 to avoid the irritation.

I don't do flashdrives either. When I had my PC in the shop, I had them set boot order to DVD burner>secondary HDD>primary HDD. I'd guess flashdrive comes next, but XP Pro (primary HDD) would never let it get that far.

Now if you know how to tame this very bad dog, I might give it a second chance. I'd need to know how to make it to connect to the internet, and raise the force field (firewall) with minimal effort, and it would have to be very minimum effort, as my patience with this distro is already at the bare minimum.

trimis, Nov 13, 2019
  2. Chiron

Computer semi-expert

Do you have a Windows 7 or newer computer? If you do, burning a Puppy CD (or any kind of Linux) is super easy.

Computer semi-expert, Nov 14, 2019
  3. Chiron

trimis

Nope, XP Pro is the beginning and end of my dealings with M$. It was the prototype of their obsession with packing in the corporate spyware/malware of Palladium/NGSCB. Unfortunately for them, they left their crapola unguarded, and XPLite allows one to jettison enough of it to render any left behind inert. An oversight M$ fixed in every OS after XP, plus they been busy packing in ever more new and improved corporate spyware/malware with each successive model.

I've seen it suggested that there are paid software that simplifies or automates the process of burning in XP, but have not found any actual names yet, so impossible to research. When I get MX Linux installed to my secondary HDD, I'll look into how complex it is to burn CD/DVD.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    trimis, Nov 16, 2019
  4. Chiron

Computer semi-expert

Hmm... you could try using ImgBurn to burn a CD. That's pretty painless. Again, I'll be glad to walk you through anything.

Computer semi-expert, Nov 16, 2019
  5. Chiron

trimis

Yeah, ImgBurn 2.5.8.0 and DVDflick 1.3.0.7 was the ones I was advised to install, which I did. I then find out the process from beginning to end is 10 to 20 steps. After looking it over, I decided I'd need a whole lot more incentive than I currently have to mess with it. Maybe when my primary (XP Pro) HDD is full up, and I have to start deleting stuff to make room. I'll wait to see if MX Linux is any less nerve-grinding, and when my computer tech comes by in two months, I'll ask him if he knows the name of the software that makes it easy to burn in XP.

trimis, Nov 16, 2019
  6. Chiron

Computer semi-expert

I just looked at ImgBurn. It's four steps to burn a Linux CD. I noticed that you said you tried to burn a movie DVD, not a Linux CD. There's a big difference there. To burn a Linux CD, you just have to burn a pre-packaged file onto the CD.

Computer semi-expert, Nov 16, 2019
    trimis likes this.
  7. Chiron

vmbox

I think webroot is still supported, I've heard really good things about it and I've tried it myself on an XP x64 SP2 machine.

It also has an pretty nice GUI

vmbox, Nov 16, 2019
  8. Chiron

trimis

Four steps might be doable, depending on how complicated them four steps are. Are you sure this is for a Linux LiveCD? I'd like to give Mofo Linux a test drive, but not yet bad enough to pay $10 for the DVD:
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/mofolinux/files/
    It would be worth it for free...and the chance to try out ImgBurn. If you want to walk me through it, step-by-step, I'll give it a shot.

trimis, Nov 17, 2019
  9. Chiron

Computer semi-expert

Absolutely sure. Get ImgBurn and let me know. By the way, you'll also need to get the Puppy ISO from the Puppy Linux website.

Computer semi-expert, Nov 17, 2019
  10. Chiron

trimis

I'm curious what version of Malwarebytes you had when the problem arose, and was it the same version before the problem occured? Sounds like an auto-update thing. Had that problem with BleachBit or CCleaner (forgot which). These fools love to stick in autoupdate 'feature', but can never be bothered to make sure the new version works with XP. I had to revert to the previous version, then block it from having internet access to stop the auto-update from doing it again. I run Malewarebytes 3.5.1.2522 with no problem, but have it blocked from 'phoning home'. I have heard there is malware that can slide past it, then attack it from within your PC. I'd also check for intruders.

trimis, Nov 21, 2019
Ask a Question