Making Internet Connection Troubles

Hello, so i'm trying to connect to the internet and I'm having some issues. I have a cord plugged into the internet jack in the back of my PC which just goes to my modem. It's 2015 so I'm not on dial-up. I'm using the "New Connection Wizard", like i think I'm supposed to, but it never successfully works.
My Steps I'm Doing:
Connect to the Internet -> Set up my Connection Manually -> Connect using a broadband connection that requires a user name and password.
I know the password to our internet, but I may not be using the right username. I'm using the same name as what i see when i connect to the internet via WiFi on my phone.
When I finish the setup, and try to connect, i get an Error 769: the specified destination is not reachable.
Please help!

what is the make, model, and model number of your pc??

do the following:

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

msinfo32

Click OK, and when the System Summary info appears, click Edit, Select All (Ctrl-A), Copy (Ctrl-C) and then paste (Ctrl-V) the information back here in your next reply.
You can edit out any personal information.

Here Ya Go!

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name NAME-A3945F3765
System Manufacturer Gateway
System Model GT5428
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 6 Stepping 5 GenuineIntel ~3194 Mhz
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 6 Stepping 5 GenuineIntel ~3194 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Intel Corp. CF94510J.15A.0038.2007.0226.1646, 2/26/2007
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
User Name NAME-A3945F3765\Name
Time Zone Canada Central Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 2,048.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 1.70 GB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 3.85 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=24

download sp3 from above link, as most xp utilities will require sp3 which has been out several years.

====

next look in device manager, are there any yellow warnings??

I have been on the gateway site to look for drivers for your pc, but all I get is that there are none available, and that the pc was for media center edition or vista.

since you are so behind on your updates to xp, this may be the problem you have, so install sp3, you can download it from a working pc and carry it over to your afflicted pc and install reboot twice after install.

then go to start, all programs, at the top of the pane you should see windows updates, click on this and then see that you get fully updated.

if you need drivers, since gateway will not provide them you will have to use one of the driver sites to get your drivers.

You were right! There were yellow warnings for my ethernet controller under my device manager. So I went online and put the drivers onto a usb and installed them onto my PC. Thank you very much you beautiful and amazing person :D

Back