Major windows xp customization

Discussion in 'Windows XP Customization' started by Jakob99, Feb 10, 2015.

?

Should Internet explorer be released with each service pack or with select updates?

Poll closed Feb 20, 2015.
  1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

100.0%
  1. Jakob99

Jakob99

All right here it goes.

Programs being used:

Resource hacker, Windows 7(Has the primary features that I plan on using. Windows xp, which i'm using was setup using a virtual machine inside windows 7)

What I plan on doing:

Add user account controls and parental controls to windows xp. There are other stuff I plan on doing but will get more into those later on here.

What are User account controls and parental controls?

If you've used windows vista or later then you will know but if you've used windows XP or earlier(or other non windows) then I will explain. User account controls prevent programs from silently gaining unauthorized access(This also happens when you open an installer which is responsible for extracting the files so you can use the software) which means that you have to authorize a program to have access or otherwise it won't start. Parental controls limit access to certain operating system functions programs and internet websites and features. These are most commonly used to limit kids access to certain features. Internet explorer in windows xp does feature parental controls but not in the form that they take in windows vista and later.

Now what I want to know is does anybody have the code for the parental controls and user account controls? If you do could you upload it somewhere because I do not have the patience to sift through the windows 7 registery(If you can't upload them both then could you direct me to where it's at and what I would have to do) I also plan on keeping updates alive past the 2019 update hack. Updates will be rolled out alongside the hack but will be request fixes. So if you have anything that needs to be patched just post here and I will get it added but please don't post with requested fixes just yet until I can figure out how to get updates added so if anyone knows how to do it then please tell me right away so I can start work on this and get it rolled out to XP users. Most updates will come via a registery file that you can double click to add to the registery(Unless it is more complicated than a registery file in which case I will google a windows xp update and figure out what file type it is) Windows internet explorer 8 support will also be dropped and upgraded to the most recent version(which is 11 but will not be upgraded right away but via service packs so if you have let's say service pack four and wanted to upgrade to IE 11 you'd need to upgrade to a service pack that supports it. I also want to point out that that rule may change but will depend if enough people don't like it the way I have planned) Each service pack will be in the form of an ISO file so that you can burn it to a CD and install it to a computer. I am not sure about product activation as when I installed it on this VM it hasn't asked for one but don't want to chance it and think other users who use this are also in the clear so a fix for Activation is planned for release but is not final until I can get feedback from the beta testers. Gagdets will also be included if you want them in. You will have a chance to remove them if you don't want them by right clicking the gadgets sidebar and clicking remove.

Now there are some possible positions up for grabs. They are as follows

Maitenence man(Not sure about this one as it will heavily depend on how easy or hard it is to make the request only updates) You'd be in charge of making the updates and testing them for any bugs. Make sure to bookmark this thread so you can stay up to date on requests as they come in. Once the updates are released please post them here so others can grab them. A specific date for thwn they will be released is undecided but do note the date will stay the same(as with the case with Microsoft's patch tuesday these will be released on the same day monthly unless you need the update sooner) Again, if this is an easy thing to do then this position will no longer be needed but if it's not then I will keep this open.

Beta Testers: You'd test the updates and service packs for bugs and also add in the latest drivers since I am using a Virtual Machine and don't have access to that.

Now this sounds like a lot but it really isn't. I, of course will be in charge of adding UAC, Parental controls and IE explorer(And possibly the updates but will depend on how easy or hard it is)and the beta testers will be in charge of testing the updates and the service pack. Maitenence man is still undecided. Also support for apps like Firefox chrome antivirus programs and what not will continue to be supported. This will also help out windows XP users who can't upgrade or who don't want to. Now to close this off I have one last question to ask. How do you make a service pack(one that can be compiled to an ISO with all the changes listed above)? Do I have to download a program to do it or is there something built in that can do it? Also please vote in the poll above so I know what would be better releasing internet explorer on a service pack basis(Example: Service pack 4 gets IE 9 sp5 gets IE 10) or on an update basis(Example: Update 5 includes support for IE 9 update 15 includes support for IE 10) I'm pretty sure Microsoft did it on a service pack basis but wanted opinions first.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
    Jakob99, Feb 10, 2015
  2. Jakob99

Jakob99

Please note. Yes means On a service pack basis and No means On an update basis. I didn't realize my mistake until I posted this and can't find an edit poll option.

Jakob99, Feb 10, 2015
  3. Jakob99

Jakob99

I did figure out how to splitstream the files into an iso which was successfully burnt to a cd so I don't need any help there but will need help getting IE 9 support enabled automatically as I plan to make it service pack four's default browser making you have to upgrade from sp3 to sp4 to install it. So if anyone knows how to make it a preinstalled browser then please post here. Any help is appreciated:)

P.S. Preinstalled as in it is the main browser. Kind of like how chromebook has google chrome preinstalled and how windows vista has windows 9 preinstalled. Also I hear google chrome support is ending for windows xp? Is it true or false because if it is true then I will need to rextend chrome support in sp4.

Jakob99, Feb 11, 2015
  4. Jakob99

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Feb 11, 2015
  5. Jakob99

Jakob99

I saw the google blog about chrome support so it looks like support will need to be reenabled in this pack. And this service pack is different as it continues where microsoft stopped at, Making updates. What this aims at doing is extending support for windows xp for those users who can't leave or do not want to. Also if you know how to make IE 9 enabled then that would be great. If not then i'll continue asking around.

Jakob99, Feb 11, 2015
  6. Jakob99

Elizabeth23

xp cannot support ie9.

Elizabeth23, Feb 11, 2015
  7. Jakob99

Jakob99

I know that but what I am talking about is changing a couple of files so users can download IE 9 to a windows xp machine.

Jakob99, Feb 12, 2015
  8. Jakob99

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Feb 12, 2015
  9. Jakob99

Jakob99

Jakob99, Feb 13, 2015
  10. Jakob99

Jakob99

I want everyone to know that I have a renewed interest in this project so it's back up and running again(Mostly a note for the mods so they don't close this thread thinking i've abandoned this project)

Jakob99, Mar 30, 2015
Ask a Question