Low powered Antivirus

Discussion in 'Windows XP Security' started by Duchy, Apr 8, 2020.

1. Duchy

Duchy

Hello!
    Im looking for an antivirus for my smal, very underpowered by todays standarts notebook. it has 1GB of ram and intel atom N450. (yes its an Emachines) Can anyone recommend anything?

Duchy, Apr 8, 2020
  2. Duchy

flavallee Guest

To my knowledge, there no longer is a current up-to-date antivirus app that works in Windows XP SP3.
    Someone else here can correct me if I'm wrong.

flavallee, Apr 10, 2020
  3. Duchy

None

Hi!
    There're some that still receive database updates, but they don't receive new versions:
    Panda Free (pros: lightweight, cons: it's a cloud av, needs good internet connection)
    Avast! Free (pros: good detection**, cons: privacy, low detection rate in countries where it has no labs (poor engine))
    360 Total Security Essentials (pros: looks lightweight, cons: Qihoo)

None, Jun 5, 2020
  4. Duchy

flavallee Guest

In response to post #3, I decided to give Panda Dome 20.00.00 (aka Panda Free Antivirus) a try in my Windows XP Professional SP3 32-bit computer (updated to May 2019 and using 4 GB+ PAE patch).

During the beginning of the install process, it detected that both the "Client" and "Extended" versions of Microsoft .NET Framework 4 were not installed, so it downloaded and installed what was missing.
    The install process then successfully completed.

The Dell OptiPlex 980 minitower that I'm using has more powerful hardware than the typical Windows XP-era computer, so the extra running processes that it generated in the startup and services lists doesn't seem to be impeding speed.

My internet speed is 400 Mbps, so there's no connection issue with using it.

flavallee, Jul 5, 2020
  5. Duchy

trimis

I ditched the antivirus nearly a year ago, and to date have found no need for it. Between Malwarebytes Free, Superantispyware Free, Adwcleaner, and double firewalls (Outpost Firewall 2009 + SPI & NAT hardware firewall of my router), the only problem I have had is the occasional PUP. I'd give most of the credit to the hardware firewall.

trimis, Jul 9, 2020
  6. Duchy

flavallee Guest

The current versions of Malwarebytes (4.1.2.73) and AdwCleaner (8.0.6.0) do not support Windows XP.

The current version of SUPERAntiSpyware (8.0.0.1052) still does.

3.5.1.2522 is the most current version of Malwarebytes that supports Windows XP.

flavallee, Jul 9, 2020
  7. Duchy

trimis

I have Malwarebytes 3.5.1.2522, Adwcleaner 6.045, and SuperAntisSpyware 8.0.1052. Not a big fan of updates, and even less so after the recent Mypal debacle. I have way more confidence in the hardware firewall of my router, and encourage its use whenever possible. The software stuff is just extra layers of security...never a bad idea, but not something to bet the bank on.

trimis, Jul 11, 2020
  8. Duchy

BlueBeastie

So, yeah, there's actually quite a few antivirus apps for Windows XP that are up-to-date.
    I find that AVG Antivirus is my favorite.
    There's also the open-source ClamTk built on ClamAV. (which, by the way, is VERY low power)
    There's also one called Webroot that doesn't seem to have a free version...

But, yeah, if you really want to have a lightweight AV that won't eat up your resources, maybe consider the Windows version of ClamTK. If you do go with it, bear in mind that it doesn't report to the Security Center, so Security Center might think you don't have antivirus.

BlueBeastie, Jul 19, 2020
    Connor McMahon likes this.
  9. Duchy

cornemuse

I'm still using 360 Total Security (free version), on XP32.
    Never found any antivirus that worked on XP64, so I dont go online with it. Without any A/V installed, & 8 gigs ram, 64 flys!
    Anything for my 64 computer, I transfer via thumb drive.

cornemuse, Jul 19, 2020
  10. Duchy

Elizabeth23

I am also still using 360 total security essentials, :)

Elizabeth23, Jul 19, 2020
  11. Duchy

Connor McMahon

Connor McMahon, Jul 27, 2020
  12. Duchy

esyede

esyede, Aug 22, 2020
Ask a Question