Loud power supply fan

Discussion in 'Windows XP Hardware' started by SmilinDoug, Oct 25, 2019.

1. SmilinDoug

SmilinDoug

So how the heck do I make my power supply fan quieter? If I touch the metal screen protecting the fan in the back, the noise stops for a second. And I'm NOT going to keep my finger on the power supply all the time. :)

SmilinDoug, Oct 25, 2019
  2. SmilinDoug

Computer semi-expert

It sounds like your metal screen is vibrating. See if you can tighten any screws on anything.

Also, you could check if your fan is even a variable speed fan. If so, it should have 4 wires to the motherboard instead of 3.

Computer semi-expert, Oct 25, 2019
  3. SmilinDoug

SmilinDoug

For some reason it's pretty quiet now. Maybe it's my magic touch of my finger. :D

It's not a variable speed fan either. I was thinking of maybe taking the power supply apart and seeing if I could balance the fan blades. I've got to replace my Dad's power supply on his computer, maybe I'll try it with that. I'm sure his PS has a fuse inside. They're usually soldered in.

SmilinDoug, Oct 26, 2019
  4. SmilinDoug

jim davis

I got a nice pair of tin snips and cut the fan screen out, makes whole machine run cooler, fans don't like blowing against a screen, it puts pressure against the back bearings on the rotor.......also some shops don't like hunting down a xp power supply, so they will say you don't need a new one, I actually got a shop nerd to admit this, YOUR BEST BET IS TO GET IT OUT OF THERE AND REPLACE WITH NEWEST YOU CAN FIND.
    a over heated power supply can fry your whole system if it shorts out

jim davis, Nov 13, 2019
  5. SmilinDoug

SmilinDoug

My fan in my PS is running pretty good. I told you it was my magic touch of my finger. :) After I swapped out my Dad's PS, I took his old one apart. There weren't a fuse soldered in anywhere. So that's going in the trashed electronics box that's going to BestBuy. I remember a few years ago on a couple of power supplies they had fuses in them. I guess the manufacturers want you to buy a new PS instead of changing a fuse.

SmilinDoug, Nov 14, 2019
    jim davis likes this.
  6. SmilinDoug

jim davis

this is why the water is poison , throw out pollute and buy a new on.

jim davis, Nov 20, 2019
  7. SmilinDoug

trimis

There was a noise problem on my PC in the beginning. Either it came that way, or the computer shop did something when they were upgrading to 8GB RAM, replacing the CD-ROM with a DVD burner, or putting in the mobile-rack. Anyhow, my tech guy got into the PC, took out some screws, applied some silicone flexible sealant/glue somewhere, then more under the screw heads, put it back together, and no more vibrating. I'll never get into the PC myself, but I buy Gorilla Silicone Sealant, 2.8oz. Clear, and use it a lot. It dries into a flexible rubbery mass. Last used it on the table fan grating to stop them from chattering together.

trimis, Nov 25, 2019
    SmilinDoug likes this.
Ask a Question