Lost xp disk program

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by jim davis, Aug 23, 2017.

1. jim davis

jim davis

Hi Folks

someone lost my xp disk a few years ago, so I can't delete the whole program I have, which i am sure is messy and should be cleared and recorded from fresh.

Now that xp is deliberately shut down to push MS 10, is it possible to just use someones else s disk
    to get a clean program

thanks

jim davis, Aug 23, 2017
  2. jim davis

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Aug 23, 2017
  3. jim davis

jim davis

OK HELPER ELVES, OFF THE COFFEE BREAK, Elizabeth is having to answer all the questions

it is a dell computer, what is a iso????
    is this like a mp3 you down load to a program disk CD-R, and then just erase your c drive, stick CD-r in and tell it to put on c drive.

Sorry but where is that down load on that site.
    also where are all the elves here

jim davis, Aug 23, 2017
  4. jim davis

Elizabeth23

https://www.lifewire.com/iso-file-2625923

above is a good knowledge article on ISO's

you can use any dell oem install cd (not a recovery cd) as long as it is the same flavor of xp as you originally had, home=home, etc. that way it can be activated with your product number on the side of the pc, or you can do the following so as not to worry about activation in the event of a clean install:

Create the Activation Status

Navigate to system32 folder.

Copy the wpa.dbl and wpa.bak files

Reinstall XP in the normal manner

Restart the computer and use the F8 key to bring up the Advanced Boot Options

Select Minimal Safe Mode using Up and Down Arrow Keys and press Enter.

Navigate to system32 folder.

Rename the existing wpa.dbl and wpa.bak files.

Copy the previously backed up wpa.dbl and wpa.bak files to the system32 folder.

Reboot the computer.

---------------

when you have an image ISO, you can burn it to a cd or use Rufus to burn to a usb

imgburn or nlite can be use to burn an iso to a cd.

============

had to look through many threads but go here:

http://pastebin.com/raw/94wtjbdt

and choose the files from sendit.cloud for the xp you want , xp pro sp3 is below:

https://sendit.cloud/sdhod7fzhs4n/a...onal_with_service_pack_3_x86_cd_x14-80396.iso

but there are ones for home also

--------------

other elves still answer :)

Elizabeth23, Aug 24, 2017
  5. jim davis

Elizabeth23

reply #2: you might also copy all the oembios files in system32, to a flash drive to keep handy and then copy back to the fresh install, :)

Elizabeth23, Aug 24, 2017
  6. jim davis

jim davis

thanks again, I am just gonna take it to a repair shop, where the guy will give me guff for my having too much dignity to go to a 10, and let it copy every dam thing i do and sell it.

I have no idea what these above instructions mean, and with out fail, when ever I have been giving that many turns to do anything, what ever i am working on has a hiccup and needs a additional click that or punch this and my whole day gets hung up in computer trivia.

As well, I think it immoral at my age to spend too much time learning how to work a machine that should have never hit the market so ridiculously life time consumingly complicated, our children are a disaster from this.

I do want to honor those who are in IT admin, who help us sort this stuff daily, thats their job, they do it well and often.

but Its my right to only have to quickly use the machine, I write this because it is getting forgotten quick.

I will continue to attempt remedy on small issues at this site, you folks are very good at what it is your job to do.

its my job to keep labor saving devices from stealing my life, so off to the geek guys shop i go.

thanks again

j

jim davis, Sep 1, 2017
  7. jim davis

Elizabeth23

no problem

Elizabeth23, Sep 1, 2017
Ask a Question