Looking for a computer running XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by SpudThumper, Oct 5, 2020.

1. SpudThumper

SpudThumper

Hi,

I've remained very happy with the XP operating systems since I first got it decades ago. I'm no longer seeing used XP machines for sale at the computer repair stores, so I thought I'd ask around on a forum.

Anyone know of anyone with a used computer with XP installed (and not other operating systems), with usual the associated programs, such as Windows Office (or at least Word)?

SpudThumper

SpudThumper, Oct 5, 2020
    1. Advertisements

2. SpudThumper

flavallee

flavallee, Oct 5, 2020
    Elizabeth23 likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. SpudThumper

SpudThumper

flavallee,

Thank for this suggestion. I have two problems, however, with NestEgg. One, it appears that the company only accepts electron "money", which I don't use. Two, the XP-based computers listed have very few ratings from 3 to 4, but many ratings at the extremes (i.e., 1 and 5). I suspect people (or robots) are overdoing it in their attempts to extoll or trash the seller of these products. I am leery when I read that the seller didn't deliver the goods or refund the money. Any thoughts?

Mostly I was hoping that a member of this forum had a used computer for sale running XP. Anyone out there fitting that description?

SpudThumper

SpudThumper, Oct 7, 2020
  4. SpudThumper

ClippyBeer

If you do a search on Ebay for "Windows XP computer" you will see many for under $100 USD. To avoid problems/scam sellers buy only from "Top Rated Plus". They also accept many forms of payment (Visa/MC/AMEX/DISC/Paypal) whereas others only accept Paypal.

Please note that most computers, even new don't come with full versions of apps (Office, Antivirus etc.) but rather TRIAL versions that expire unless you purchase the full versions. Maybe LibreOffice will meet your needs if you don't want to buy Office.

I don't have any hardware for sale, maybe someone else does or can recommend a different site similar to Amibay that specializes in buying/selling legacy PC hardware.

ClippyBeer, Oct 8, 2020
  5. SpudThumper

SpudThumper

Thanks ClippyBeer,

I just checked into Ebay and your information seems correct. Good tip on the "Top Rated Plus" angle.

I guess my main problem remains finding someone who accepts non-digital (traditional) forms of payment (checks, money orders). I'm thinking that Visa, MC,AMEX,DISC, Paypal are also forms of electronic payment.

Sorry to hear that most computers don't come with full versions of, for instance, Office. Buying a full version of that would no doubt require digital money. Much as I've come to dislike Microsoft, I've used Office/Word for too many decades in technical matters. I occasionally use LibreOffice, but in little more than a Notepad sense. Getting up to speed in LibreOffice would entail a lot of time that, I'm sorry to report, I don't have much of right now.

Oh . . . I forgot to check Amibay. Will do so now.

SpudThumper, Oct 13, 2020
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question