Long time between Welcome and Desktop

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by Johnnydg, May 21, 2020.

1. Johnnydg

Johnnydg

My Compaq pc (described below) takes from 8 to 10 minutes to display the desktop after showing the Welcome screen. I first thought it was stuck in a loop and just shut it down. I forgetfully walked away during one boot attempt and came back to find the desktop waiting for me.
    Are there logs I can view or other tools to help me undestand and shorten this time lag?
    John

Compaq Presario X1000

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 1 Build 2600

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard

System Model Compaq Presario X1000 DM774A#ABA

System Type X86-based PC

Processor x86 Family 6 Model 9 Stepping 5 GenuineIntel ~1495 Mhz

BIOS Version/Date Hewlett-Packard 68BAL Ver. F.09, 8/15/2003

SMBIOS Version 2.3

Johnnydg, May 21, 2020
  2. Johnnydg

Elizabeth23

what do you have starting up with the pc? Mine takes approx 15 seconds to load to my desktop, and then my antivirus does a quick scan approx 2 mins, and my startup folder has only my antivirus starting with the pc.

also see if any errors are occurring in event viewer

Elizabeth23, May 21, 2020
  3. Johnnydg

Johnnydg

Elizabeth: As to what is starting up with the PC, I found the Startup folder and it is empty.

Also, I looked for the event viewer but couldn't find it. Can you direct me to it?

Thanks,
    John

Johnnydg, May 23, 2020
  4. Johnnydg

Elizabeth23

start/run/ type in eventvwr.msc or go to control panel/administrative tools/ click on eventviwer

have you installed anything?

also restart and immediately start pressing F8 to get to advanced boot options and click on DIsable Automatic Restart, this will stop pc from booting if there is an error and may display an error message

also did you install anything prior to this issue?

should really update to sp3, but compaq by hp requires a patch to install sp3, I will have to see if I can find it.

Elizabeth23, May 24, 2020
  5. Johnnydg

cornemuse

cornemuse, May 24, 2020
  6. Johnnydg

Johnnydg

It looks like my performance problem has been solved. I found a Windows XP Professional Version 2002 product CD that I purchased some time ago. I successfully installed XP Professional on my Compaq and was able to Activate it via smart phone. So far so good. Thanks for your suggestions.

Johnnydg, May 28, 2020
Ask a Question