List of clean XP-compatible emulators

Discussion in 'Windows XP Games' started by eatup, Mar 25, 2017.

1. eatup

eatup

In the past when I had ZSNES or Project64 on my XP system, I would immediately get a trojan virus afterwards. So as the thread title says, this thread is dedicated to those emulators that are known to be clean:

1. NES emulator: Everybody talks about Nestopia/Nesticle, but I am very suspicious of these emulators that could unleash trojans onto your PC. People rarely mention VirtuaNES (by Japanese programmer Norix) when they talk NES emulation. Well, I have been running VirtuaNES for sometime and I can confirm it is legitly clean emulation software. With TV scanlines enabled/simulated, VirtuaNES games look exactly like the same games I had played on a CRT TV screen as a kid. This emulator can be downloaded here: http://virtuanes.s1.xrea.com/

2. SNES emulator: I haven't found any that are known to be clean. ZSNES/Snes9x are the ones that have infected my system in the past. Could you believe it's been over 20 years since SNES's launch, and not a single emulator like Virtua NES? That's too bad b/c Higan emulator comes close, BUT IT DOES NOT WORK ON XP 32-Bit OS!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    eatup, Mar 25, 2017
  2. eatup

eatup

BTW, for the best looking VirtuaNES, here's what I did:

Press Alt + Enter to go full screen.

Set resolution to 640x480 (the original NES ran at 3xx * 2xx resolution, so setting anything higher than twice this probably won't make any difference)

Apply fake scanlines at 75%.

Enjoy!

eatup, Mar 26, 2017
  3. I use zsnes, 100% safe, though, there was an exploit that made it malicious, a quote I found somewhere. "In 2015 an exploit that allowed a specially crafted SNES ROM to gain control of the host system, and thus be able to execute malicious code, was discovered in version 1.51; a fixed build was released shortly afterwards."

Skeleton11223, Mar 28, 2017
  4. eatup

towgers

EPSXE is safe as long as its from trusted sources. Check your MD5 hashes.

towgers, Apr 5, 2017
Ask a Question