Let's make something. I'm looking to modernize XP and make it run better than ever before, with all

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by bobby charlton, Oct 21, 2021.

1. bobby charlton

bobby charlton

We're all using modern computers that are faster than the previous generation. However, just looking at what Windows became over the last 20 years, is horrible. Windows 10 is not looking great, and most of us use it just because of our programs that can't run on older OS'es. But what if... what if we made XP new again? Would it be possible with the help of the XP community? I'm looking forward to this, but the XP community must step up to make this dream, come true.

bobby charlton, Oct 21, 2021
    TMTGTR and Walt_XP like this.
  2. bobby charlton

ClippyBeer

Keep dreaming. It's too much work to get newer software running on XP, even those that are maintaining XP browsers aren't able to port newer browser engines to XP.

ClippyBeer, Oct 22, 2021
    Samir likes this.
  3. bobby charlton

red Guest

i no longer use xp online ,but have to use it for my work, the older programs just dont work on 10 8 and struggle on 7 so no chance on 11, and i guess once 10s gone there wont be any use for the older systems, that said my xp set up still works, and unless it packs up then i will keep it alive for as long as i can:)

long live xp:)

red, Oct 26, 2021
    Samir likes this.
  4. bobby charlton

cartpusher54

I think one day someone will figure out how to get newer browsers on xp. A person or small group of people may take the time and effort to make it happen. I mean we have chrome 87 on xp from a chinese company and that helps alot with website compatibility. XP will always have a bright future I really believe!! Long Live XP!!

cartpusher54, Oct 26, 2021
    Walt_XP likes this.
  5. bobby charlton

XPAnarchy

Chrome 87 from a chinese company...? Where in the world did you find this out??

XPAnarchy, Oct 28, 2021
  6. bobby charlton

cartpusher54

It was on retrosystemrevival.com It seems to only install on 32 bit version of xp. However chrome 360 which is based on version 86 loads just fine on xp 64 bit.

cartpusher54, Oct 28, 2021
    Samir likes this.
  7. bobby charlton

XPAnarchy

I've never heard of this "retrosystemrevival"
    Do you know if this chrome 87 can still work on XP? Or did Google shut it off?

XPAnarchy, Oct 29, 2021
    Samir likes this.
  8. bobby charlton

cartpusher54

The real version of chrome only works up to version 49 which was released in 2016 but there are web browsers that use a much higher version of the chromium engine that chrome is based off of for their browsers. I go to retrosystem revival for most of the stuff i need to keep xp working at its best check it out its really a great site.

cartpusher54, Oct 29, 2021
    Samir and Walt_XP like this.
  9. bobby charlton

XPAnarchy

So... what's the catch? This site makes a bunch of promises and has these flashy thumbnails for the programs (and Touhou of all things, weird).
    Everyone was freaking out about Mypal being discontinued, so... why isn't everyone switching over to 360? I'm not trying to be paranoid but I really do not want my passwords stolen because I input them in a "backport" of a webbrowser. Who's even running the databases for it?

XPAnarchy, Oct 29, 2021
    Samir likes this.
  10. bobby charlton

cartpusher54

Very true there are concerns abot 360 and privacy I have been using the latest version for like awhile now but it is kind of a use at your own risk kind of deal. I thought i read mypal may not be done after all. 360 is on version 13.51060. I dont blame you on the passwords my friend if 360 isnt for you then its all about choice and we all have to decide which browser best suits our needs in windows xp.

cartpusher54, Oct 30, 2021
    Samir likes this.
  11. bobby charlton

XPAnarchy

I considered installing this because of how slow mypal is, like this browser is literally a turtle when it comes to running stuff like webclient discord. Is there anyone in the forum who's ever used these things to clarify if it's safe or not?

EDIT: I installed Chrome 360 on it just to see if it would work, turns out yes it does work
    However, discord of all things refuses to sign me in. I sign in and all it does is stay on the "welcome back!" screen.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
    XPAnarchy, Oct 30, 2021
    Samir likes this.
  12. bobby charlton

cartpusher54

Go into the settings and make sure its updated to the latest version of the browser. I have never used discord so guess i am not sure on the deal there. I got the 2020 root certificate updates on the os revival site as well if that helps you any.

cartpusher54, Nov 1, 2021
    Samir likes this.
  13. bobby charlton

XPAnarchy

The 2020 root certificate is called "jveWB2Qg1Lt9yT5m3CYpZ8b8N4rH" right? I downloaded that but I was a little worried about messing something up if I installed it.

XPAnarchy, Nov 1, 2021
    Samir likes this.
  14. bobby charlton

Mr Siamese Cat

I still use XP, as my main operating system - I use windows 7 and now 11 as remotes.

Mr Siamese Cat, Nov 2, 2021
    Samir and Walt_XP like this.
  15. bobby charlton

cartpusher54

I never got those letters and numbers but I run that everytime I install xp and everything seems ok. Those updates are important for chromium based browsers or like sites wont load on those browsers because of cert errors.

cartpusher54, Nov 10, 2021
    Samir likes this.
  16. bobby charlton

Walt_XP

Hey im new here can someone help me im just trying to change the background on wmp were it lists the songs i want it to b black instead of white so it can follow my dark theme.

Walt_XP, Nov 11, 2021
  17. bobby charlton

Zinou_xp

Of cours a group of geeks can do it,xp debut is light and faster than any OS W7 or W10 you name it. I guess it is a great OS for old games

Zinou_xp, Nov 16, 2021
  18. bobby charlton

TMTGTR

Firstly, I am with you, It is a serious venture for me and I have been maintaining my 6 XP and 3 9x computers for, well, years. The people whom could really make a difference don't have the incentive IMHO. And so much of that stable of talent is in Linux land etc. However there are many people whom are inspired to hack existing files to be XP compliant, I get updated ffmpeg and root certificates, and I've updated drivers (following online directions), and Roytam1 is keeping me alive online and much more stuff...

I think a central base showing links to REAL XP modded files AND XP workarounds would be beneficial to a forum that: "...(Provides) technical support for Windows XP, a legacy operating system from Microsoft." You know, like IT SAYS ON THE BOX HERE AT THIS FORUM.

Secondly, it is more productive to stay on topic than go off on tangents and negative lines. This thread is a little waterlogged.
    Perhaps starting a thread with nothing more than the sharing of XP tech and ONLY XP tech would be great. I can't because I can't post links without awaiting moderator approval. If I could...

Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
    TMTGTR, Nov 22, 2021
  19. bobby charlton

TMTGTR

I recently found this:
    MSFN: Root Certificates and Revoked Certificates for Windows XP
    (sorry, I can't post urls) I don't use the utility but follow heinoganda's manual method and it works.
    I also use the method for firefox from ProPrivacy(dot)com:
    "A Guide to Root Certificates" and get the fire fox certificates from: CAcert(dot)org
    another good read on the subject here:
    curl(dot)se : CA certificates extracted from Mozilla

TMTGTR, Nov 22, 2021
Ask a Question