Legaly buy and/or activate windows xp in 2018

Discussion in 'Windows XP Installation and Setup' started by Micik, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Micik

Micik

Hello guys,

I have a computer with windows XP pro sp2 as OS and with some software installed on t that can only work in Windows XP.
    I have used this computer for more than ten years now. Recently his computer start dying. It is Fujitsu workstation and it has OEM windows licence. The computer have been repaired couple of times but this time it seems that final end is very close.

One of the options is to virtualize this computer and to move it as virtual machine on a new hardware. I tried to do that and as expected, windows is not activated any more since it noticed that hardware is changed. Sine OEM licence is tied to the HW, I wonder how can I legally activate windows XP on a virtual machine?

I don't want to reinstall windows from scratch since I don't have all installations disks any more for application software.
    Is it possible now to buy activation from Microsoft in 2018?

Thank you!

Micik, Apr 8, 2018
    jim davis likes this.
  2. Micik

jim davis

There are folks here who can help you with this, I can't, but hang in there.

my xp has slowed to tar in January and i am looking to fix, Ms. Elizabeth here, sent me to a site to re download from fresh but it was all in geekinese and i walked, I will try to find her reply, and post, but i find the personal page here hades to do anything on so you may have to wait for her to chime in,
    the jackashe at computer store looks at me like I have a disease when I ask for help keeping XP afloat, the guys a real geek fashion twit.

jim davis, Apr 10, 2018
  3. Micik

jim davis

UPDATE

I can't find a list of all my posts anywhere, liz answered this to me somewhere
    but my personal page is too geeked for me to find it.

jim davis, Apr 10, 2018
  4. Micik

jim davis

OK,,,,, TO FIND OLD POSTS YOU CLICK ON YOUR NAME and they will show up
    in a few different categories, this is what Elizabeth posted to me, and please let me know how it worked for you here.

I never understood the answer, which is nothing new, and not lizs fault,

and i may be wrong, but think this was same problem

mean while I am sure more help is on the way here for your question

liz said---

yes as long as it is an oem disk such as a dell disk for a dell pc,

https://forums.mydigitallife.net/forums/windows-xp-older-os.5/

you can register at the above forum and there should be links to download an iso for your particular xp

jim davis, Apr 10, 2018
  5. Micik

Elizabeth23

6. Micik

Sean

There are two windows XP Sp3 ISOs , both pop up on google that aren't oem - just retail installs already activated and with SP3 and include AHCI support

Sean, Apr 19, 2018
  7. Micik

Elizabeth23

and the question? I am not sure dell put out a sp3 install disk, my own is sp2, but I slipstreamed sp3 onto it.

Elizabeth23, Apr 19, 2018
  8. Micik

Sean

Sean, Apr 19, 2018
  9. Micik

Elizabeth23

you can install a retail version on a dell, you will still need a valid product key.

Elizabeth23, Apr 19, 2018
  10. Micik

Sean

Not for the two that i found , unless i am mistaken they were already activated. That's what the new install on the computer in my thread is, never asked for a product key and and started updating as soon as it was installed. i'm not sure about the feeling of abandonware here but i beleive that is the persons case who made the installs.

If not against the rules i will post a link to it, but want to make sure its ok.

Sean, Apr 19, 2018
    Dyehard likes this.
  11. Micik

Elizabeth23

go ahead and post link, I have posted links to downloads of iso files

Elizabeth23, Apr 21, 2018
  12. Micik

Sean

Sean, Apr 23, 2018
  13. Micik

Elizabeth23

it is great that you have the iso, now do not lose it, :)

Elizabeth23, Apr 23, 2018
  14. Micik

Micik

Thank you for your advices. Unfortunately, I wan't able to solve the problem, because I don't want to reinstall windows because there are some application software I need to keep. That is why I wonder if it is possible only to buy activation for existing setup on virtual machine.

Micik, May 7, 2018
  15. Micik

Elizabeth23

can you download the software to install again? or do you have the install cds?

Elizabeth23, May 7, 2018
  16. Micik

Micik

No, I'm afraid not, All I have is norton ghost image with boot floppy disk :).
    When I try to restore NG image to a virtual machine I end up with famous BSOD.
    So I used VM converter on original machine (that is failing - frequent hang, BSOD and similar) and open this VM on new computer with Windows 7 pro. Of course, win XP inside VM asks for activation.
    Interesting I have Windows COA sticker, but that doesn't help, since product ID contains OEM and I have found that OEM version are tied with HW. When HW fails then software is also gone.

There are some workarounds playing with registry, but I was thinking if there is a possibility to activate legaly. Maybe to buy another win 7 licence and then ask for downgrade, but without installation or re installation.

P.S. Trying to activate windows via Internet ends up with error 32781

Micik, May 7, 2018
  17. Micik

Elizabeth23

If you purchase a VL license for it (which would be a currently supported license with downgrade rights) and you virtualize the OEM version, it usually does not matter during an audit. You just have to be able to provide proof of the VL purchase, which they will have once you provide the VLSC ID to the auditor.

At least, that has been the accepted policy during all of my audits.

above comes from HERE , so you just have to purchase a virtual license , read the thread to get a general idea

attached is a zip file with a .pdf for microsoft licensing for virtualization

Attached Files:

Elizabeth23, May 7, 2018
  18. Micik

Micik

Thank you!

Micik, May 7, 2018
  19. Micik

Elizabeth23

hope it helps, :)

Elizabeth23, May 7, 2018
Ask a Question