(LAPTOP) Windows XP won't recognize

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by Senande, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Senande

Senande

Hello,
    I've re-installed Windows XP on my laptop but it seems like whenever i plug a USB Cable it doesn't recognize the device, only headphones jack & internet cable can be plugged in and works. but USB Won't. Is there actually a solution for this?

Senande, Apr 2, 2017
  2. Senande

priscus

Have you installed the service packs for XP? I think USB2 maybe needs at least SP2

priscus, Apr 2, 2017
  3. Senande

Elizabeth23

you could reinstall your usb drivers, is there any yellow exclamation points in device manager?

Elizabeth23, Apr 2, 2017
  4. Senande

Senande

No, there is no yellow exclamation points in device manager. For example whenever i plug a keyboard or a mouse it doesn't power up now. In the past it said it couldn't recognize the device.

Also my OS is currently: Microsoft(R) Windows XP - Service Pack 2.

Senande, Apr 3, 2017
  5. Senande

priscus

Does the properties tab, in dev manager tell you that said device is working properly?
    Check in properties the power tab to ensure there is not a checkmark to turn off port if not used to save power.

Also, make sure lappy is not overheating. laptop fans can get incredibly clogged with fluff. USB drop outs common when overheating.

Always, first try the device in a different physical USB socket.

I have never known why, but sometimes XP baulks if powered up with a USB device already plugged in.

priscus, Apr 3, 2017
  6. Senande

Senande

No nothing happens like that. I've checked Device Manager and there's no device connected that works "properly".

Senande, Apr 6, 2017
  7. Senande

priscus

You say Ethernet is working, so I guess you have installed the manufacturer's drivers after you did the XP reinstall.

WAS USB working satisfactorily before you did the reinstall?

If XP is not detecting them at all, not even as an unknown device, can you use a live CD, (ie an operating system which does NOT install to hard disk, but operates from the CD, or sometimes entirely in RAM) to see if the hardware is actually working.

USB sockets are not the most durable hardware.

Knoppix was written intentionally for such non-install usage. (Has extensive hardware recognition, and lots of 'cheat codes' to get you unstuck should you encounter an impasse.)

IF USB works when operating system other than XP commands them, then it seems drivers have not properly installed. I believe XP SP2 and above, uses the drivers within XP, which I guess would leave you having to do the reinstall over again.

There is sometimes a setting within BIOS to enable legacy USB, which sometimes USB keyboards need in order for them to function whilst installing XP, but once loaded the drivers within XP should take over control of USB.

Lappies do vary though. I have one where I can simply plug in USB mouse, and I also have one where I must choose in a BIOS extension between USB connected, or lappy's default keyboard and track pad.

priscus, Apr 6, 2017
  8. Senande

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Apr 6, 2017
Ask a Question