Keys not giving me right character problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by ansj64, Jul 18, 2014.

1. ansj64

ansj64

Hi

I have been suffering from an inability to use the slash key comma key num lock scroll luck question mark and other non letter or number keys.

every time I type on the said keys a window shows up with a number and its always the same number for the same key and the window title will show Microsoft with an ok button which I need to click to go away.

I have tried installing and uninstalling keyboard drivers. I have also tried scanning and removing malware and viruses cleaning up the system registry checking the accessibility options all of which are not checked.

I have also tried changing the physical keyboard itself and the other keyboard gives the same response

i have tried removing all non needed keyboards in the regional and language settings.

I have tried everything that I know of short of reparing the Microsoft Windows system itself which I cannot do since the disk I have is SP2 and I am now on SP3.

Maybe the experts in this forum can help me

and again sorry if there are no commas question marks etc

I have attached a screen cap to show exactly the problem I see. Whenever I type any of the key I get a window.

ansj64

Attached Files:

ansj64, Jul 18, 2014
  2. ansj64

Elizabeth23

post a screenshot of what your keyboard layout looks like, it should be set to us as default,

[​IMG]

=================

as for repair, you can slipstream sp3 onto your installation cd and then you could run repair with the new cd. let me know if you want slipstream instructions.

Elizabeth23, Jul 18, 2014
  3. ansj64

Elizabeth23

ALSO, do you have a restore point to when the keyboard was working??

where are you located, US??

do you have xp pro or home??

4. ansj64

Elizabeth23

and again:

run chkdsk with the /r parameter, run at least twice until no errors are found

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265/en-us
    How to perform checkdisk

if you do not have Recovery Console installed, then run from the start menu

go to start, run, type in cmd

in cmd type in chkdsk c: /r and press enter

type Y for yes and press enter

type exit and press enter

restart pc, allow checkdisk to finish and run again

this is a lengthy process depending on the size of your harddrive, the percentages will fluctuate, this is normal, you can view report in the event viewer.
    go to start>run> and type in eventvwr.msc, click on the applications directory, and in the right hand panel choose winlogon.

5. ansj64

Jojo

Just a thought, is your NumLock key been pressed?

Jojo, Jul 23, 2014
Ask a Question