Just resurrected my Dell 6400 from 2006

Discussion in 'Windows XP Hardware' started by CrazyLarry, Jan 15, 2020.

1. CrazyLarry

CrazyLarry

New here... be gentle

I decided to resurrect my Dell Inspiron 6400 from 2007 (bought it for Christmas 2006) that was being used to hold up a desk lamp in the basement. (don't laugh)

After reading these forums (and having used Dell laptops for years at work), I took the plunge and upgraded just about everything.

- Upgraded the 80gb 5400rpm drive to a 7200rpm SSHD Seagate Momentus XT (500GB)
    - Upgraded the 2GB (PC2-4200) to 4GB (PC2-5300)
    - Upgraded the CPU (T2050) to C2D T7600
    - Upgraded the GPU (nVidia) to ATI x1400/256MB
    (Note: I took the time to disassemble and repaste the GPU module)
    - Cleaned/lubed the motor on the fan (3-in-1 electric motor rated stuff)
    - Firmware updated on everything (motherboard, DVD drive, HDD)
    - Added the Dell bluetooth 355 (2.0+EDR) model

While I was at it, I replaced the LCD inverter. The laptop cover/bezel was replaced (NEW) and so was the palmrest/tackpad. Keyboard was original and just needed some DEEP cleaning.

Now, for the "issues":
    - After loading the "sp4" combined update, I noticed that my Windows Installer Service is bad, so, I had to unregister/register it and then everything worked. Anyone else notice this?
    - I had 2 different Seagate Momentus XT drives. One is a "g1" and one is a "g2", the "g2" works, the "g1" was VERY hot and the drive kept disappearing. I "think" this might be a SATA-1 thing or possibly firmware. Thoughts on drive generations?
    - I am hunting for a 54mm ExpressCard USB3 adapter that is flush fit. Any suggestions? I think the NEC still works.

Any help with these 3 items would be really appreciated.

CrazyLarry, Jan 15, 2020
    Connor McMahon likes this.
  2. CrazyLarry

Computer semi-expert

It has been noted elsewhere on this forum that the SP4 is unofficial, meaning somebody did it on their own time and therefore may have totally messed it up. This may or may not be your problem.

Computer semi-expert, Feb 14, 2020
Ask a Question