java wont install on my 32 bit winxp

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by bread, Feb 20, 2021.

1. bread

bread

msi installer says preparing then disappears and the exe offline and online give this is not a valid win32 application

the installers are 32bit

bread, Feb 20, 2021
  2. bread

Elizabeth23

He took particular care to point out that users who download JDK 7 from java.oracle.com or java.com will continue to be able to install on Windows XP. "[W]e expect that JDK 7 will continue to work on Windows XP," he wrote.

above from here, so it does work, you just have to use an older version

Elizabeth23, Feb 20, 2021
    bread likes this.
  3. bread

bread

ended up using version 8u152, last version to support processors without sse2

tried to install minecraft looks like THAT needs sse2 as well.
    welp

bread, Feb 20, 2021
  4. bread

Elizabeth23

Minecraft will still Work in Future. But Not with the offical Launcher. Just get another one. There are many Java based Launchers Out there that will still Work with Windows XP. If Not it shouldnt be a Problem to make your own Launcher. MC-Launcher should work.

===============

The problem with WinXP and Minecraft is that Minecraft requires a certain minimum version of Java to run. I think the minimum Java version for the oldest versions of Minecraft was Java 5. So the question comes down to this. What is the latest version of Java that can be run on Windows XP? Also since Minecraft requires OpenGL to run, that means your graphics card must support OpenGL, and if you do have a graphics card that supports OpenGL the driver for the graphics card must work on Windows XP.

If you are doing this in a virtual machine like VirtualBox, the question is now if your emulator is capable of emulating graphics hardware that supports OpenGL. I don't know if it does or not. I know VirtualBox supports 3D graphics via Direct3D (part of Direct X), but I don't know if it also supports OpenGL.

above from here, just do a search on xp and minecraft and you can read numerous discussions on the topic

Elizabeth23, Feb 20, 2021
  5. bread

bread

doesnt work, im lookin everywhere its hard cause they all want sse2 instruction

bread, Feb 21, 2021
  6. bread

Elizabeth23

did you read through the thread I linked? all I can suggest is to keep searching, I do not play minecraft and therefore have no personal experience with keeping it on xp, good Luck, :)

Elizabeth23, Feb 21, 2021
Ask a Question