Issues upgrading to Win 7

I have some HP DC7900 desktops running XP 32. They are using Intel Core2 Duo CPU E8500, which is supposed to be compatible with both 32 and 64 bit OS. I want to upgrade these to Win7 x64. I have run the Win7 upgrade advisor, and it shows that I can upgrade to Win 7 x64. The only issue it shows is that the Ethernet driver is not compatible with Win 7.

So I grabbed the updated Ethernet driver and performed a custom install of Win 7 x64. I lost video just over half way through the installation. I tried to force the computer to come up in safe mode but nothing.

I confirmed that the system bios was up to date, before the install so I don't see that being the problem.

This only happens when trying to go to 64 bit, I can install 32 bit with no issues.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this before? Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Processors that support 64-bit computing on Intel® architecture require an Intel 64 architecture-enabled BIOS.

‡ This feature may not be available on all computing systems. Please check with the system vendor to determine if your system delivers this feature, or reference the system specifications (motherboard, processor, chipset, power supply, HDD, graphics controller, memory, BIOS, drivers, virtual machine monitor-VMM, platform software, and/or operating system) for feature compatibility. Functionality, performance, and other benefits of this feature may vary depending on system configuration.

above from here

http://ark.intel.com/products/33911/intel-core2-duo-processor-e8500-6m-cache-3_16-ghz-1333-mhz-fsb

you should check with the oem for an updated bios to run 64 bit.

Back