Is it possible to get into the BIOS/CMOS from the desktop/OS?

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by StuM, Sep 29, 2019.

1. StuM

StuM

G'Day XP Forums,

Is it possible to get into the BIOS/CMOS from the desktop/OS?

I have a Toshiba Notebook using Windows XP SP2 OS, with an unusable keyboard and so use a USB keyboard which of course is useless when trying to press F2 or DEL, etc when accessing BIOS during start-up.

I need to get into the BIOS to change the boot sequence to boot from USB.
    The onboard mouse- and key-pads still work.

And no, I would prefer not to trash the Toshiba and prefer XP any day over 10.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers,
    StuM

StuM, Sep 29, 2019
  2. StuM

Elizabeth23

according to what I read HERE, it is not possible for the bios to be operable from a usb keyboard, and you will have to replace the notebook

F2 on a toshiba notebook displays power savings options if the FN function key is enabled, is this key enabled?

you can remove the FN program from the add/remove dialog box
    program TOSHIBA Function Key

if this comes on automatically at boot then it will only be the FN keys discussed in my link above and not the F2 needed to get into the bios

https://anz.dynabook.com/products/education/resource-centre/hints-and-tips/notebooks/function-keys/

above uses adobe flash to activate window, which will show the various functions if the FN key is activated

Elizabeth23, Sep 29, 2019
  3. StuM

Elizabeth23

reply 2,

how many usb ports are there?

did you try in each port with the keyboard? some ports may work in bios but not other usb ports.

Your keyboards probably are working, if you have the usb options enabled in your bios.
    However, for some reason, the F2, and in fact all the F buttons, do not work during post. Most of you are pressing F2 when offered the choice of F2 or Del, and so assume your usb keyboard doesn't work in POST, and plug in your old ps2, to make your bios adjustments.
    I know all of this because it happened to me.
    There are two ways to 'fix' it:
    Hit del instead of F2, or
    You probably have a FN button on your KB. Press that at the same time as F2.

In both cases, the bios screen should now show.
    I suspect some of the 'solved' comments are because they pressed 'del' that time without noticing.

above from the link below

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/usb-keyboard-will-not-work-before-boot-solved.1455023/

Elizabeth23, Sep 29, 2019
  4. StuM

StuM

G'day Elizabeth23,
    Many thanks for your reply. The problem with the original keyboard is a mechanical/connection one not software. I will try Toms Hardware as you seem to suggest.
    Thanks again.
    Cheers, StuM.

StuM, Sep 29, 2019
Ask a Question