Internet Explorer Cannot Display This Page

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by Richie, May 18, 2017.

1. Richie

Richie

I have been trying to use my old Dell 6000 laptop. It is running Windows XP, SP3, IE 8.
    (I use it to run a copy of Visual Basic 5 in order to maintain some old programs that I wrote.)

I can connect to the MSN home page, but cannot connect to any other links.
    I receive the message that is the title of this post.
    I then tried booting to an older version of Linux Ubuntu (16.04 LTS-32 bit).
    Using the Live CD method of Ubuntu, I was able to connect to any URL that I chose.
    So my wireless connectivity is OK.
    It seems that MS has really closed the door on XP. (The expired certificate thing?)
    I can use the PC without Internet, but it would be nice to have full capabilities.

Is there any way to get around this problem?
    Is there a method to update?

Richie, May 18, 2017
  2. Richie

Elizabeth23

I have msn as my home page in ie and I just went to it to see if I could connect to other links, I can, :)

But, I also have msn as a bookmark in my default browser firefox and am having no problem there.

if you are using ie8 , stop, and install firefox 52ESR which is the last one still supporting xp and make it your default browser.

Elizabeth23, May 19, 2017
    Richie likes this.
  3. Richie

Richie

Thank you so much, Elizabeth32.
    I downloaded FF 52.1.1 (32-bit) using my Win 10 desktop. Then carried it over to the XP machine on a USB stick.
    Installed it on the XP machine and made it my default browser. It reports that I am on the esr update schedule.
    I have been using FF 53 on my desktop. Also have there IE 11 and Chrome.

All is well now. I was able to download Windows updates as well as other updates for software that I use.
    Everything is looking good thanks to your suggestions.

Thanks again.

Richie, May 19, 2017
  4. Richie

Elizabeth23

great work :)

Elizabeth23, May 19, 2017
  5. Richie

Josbeph

I know this is sorted but still I would recommend doing this. IE is very unsafe.
    Download something like Chrome setup to a USB stick, put it in your laptop, and install. Chrome and many other browsers don't support XP but they will work and display modern websites without problems... for now...

Josbeph, May 20, 2017
  6. Richie

Elizabeth23

firefox esr is the only one still supporting xp, read through the forums and you will find several having problems with chrome

Elizabeth23, May 20, 2017
  7. Richie

Josbeph

I use Chrome on my XP school laptop (Samsung NP-Q35). My school uses lots of google services and I have no problem using Chrome. Although I occasionally use Firefox Portable when I have to use a proxy (very rare).

Josbeph, May 21, 2017
  8. Richie

EthanStark

restart the laptop, turn on the Wi Fi and try to connect. open IE and search for www.msn.com . open internet settings, cleare the browsing history, Turn off the Pop up blocker, ensured that all LAN settings are proper. opened IE but issue persist. reset the IE and restart the laptop. Turn off the popup blocker in internet settings and try to search for www.yahoo.com

EthanStark, Jun 16, 2017
Ask a Question