Installing XP On New-ish Computer

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by hatflyer, Jun 16, 2017.

1. hatflyer

hatflyer

Trying to install XP on a separate drive in 2 different computers and it seems to not be working. 1 says there's no operating system on my USB boot drive I created from an ISO. Pretty sure I created the USB drive properly using Rufus.

The other computer just has a black screen and blinking cursor.

Is it the motherboard or CPU that may not be compatible with XP?

1 computer has an MSI Z170A Gaming M3 board with Intel i7 6700K.

Another 1 has M5A88M board and Phenom II X4 AMD CPU.

I have an older Gateway computer with a dual processor. Not sure the CPU or board, but it runs Windows 7.

Thanks.

hatflyer, Jun 16, 2017
  2. hatflyer

Elizabeth23

I would suggest that you go to the manufacturer's website to find out if they are compatible. what are the 2 pc's? laptops or desktops, make, model and model numbers, please and I will see if I can help you search.

rufus is a good program, but it will not make an iso bootable the ISO has to already be bootable before burning.

Elizabeth23, Jun 16, 2017
  3. hatflyer

hatflyer

Thanks. I believe the ISO was bootable before burning. Got it from a site on-line (my old copy was tossed out with my old computer).

My desktop computers are bare bones, built by Portatech.

I guess the A5M88 does support XP. Is it the board that is the limiting factor?

Is there somewhere to buy Windows XP that is not OEM-specific?

Thanks.

hatflyer, Jun 16, 2017
  4. hatflyer

Elizabeth23

I do not know of a legal place to download xp, a retail microsoft copy of xp will install on any pc., oem copies are generally specific to their products,

the main problem with installing xp on a newer computer is that you will not be able to find drivers that are compatible with xp.

try booting to the usb on a different computer if it boots then it is not the flash drive, if it does not it might not be a bootable iso.

Elizabeth23, Jun 16, 2017
Ask a Question