Installing XP on a modern setup.

Discussion in 'Windows XP Installation and Setup' started by Goldfynche, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Goldfynche

Goldfynche

Reading through some of the threads makes one wonder. Are there any definite complications with installing XP on a PC that has the latest technology? Or is it just individual setups? And was any commercial planned obsolescence built into the OS?
    I have already said, I don't have an XP setup as yet, but am working on it. Should I get a SSD or stick to an HDD for instance?
    And I see that drive size has caused discussion.
    This morning I bought on eBay, XP Pro 32 with SP3 and am now debating whether to install it on my present Win 10 desktop PC which has a quad core processor, 2tb SATA SSD and 30gb of DDR ram.

Goldfynche, Oct 1, 2017
  2. Goldfynche

priscus

Hello, Goldfynche.

If you look in the 'Windows XP Hardware' forum, you will find threads on available hardware drivers for XP on latest hardware, and on SSD usage with XP. No doubt a wider discussion will emerge from a Google search.

Note that if you put 32bit XP onto your system referred to, it will only utilise about 3.8 GB of RAM, and you may need to install SATA drivers with the XP system.

priscus, Oct 2, 2017
  3. Goldfynche

priscus

ps It is also worth checking the' Chip-set' manufacturer for drivers.

One of my PCs uses an Abit mobo. Sadly Abit are no-longer with us.

The drivers, however I still get, and get updated from nVidia.

priscus, Oct 2, 2017
  4. Goldfynche

Goldfynche

Change of plan. I bought WinXP 32 Professional SP3 on eBay on Sunday, and it arrived this morning. 48 hours later! (positive F/B left) I'm now installing it on to an HP Pavillion dv9000 laptop I bought about ten years ago, that originally had Vista installed on it. I upgraded that to Win 8.1, but have since reformatted the HDD ready for XP.

Goldfynche, Oct 3, 2017
  5. Goldfynche

Goldfynche

Well! So far, so good. XP installed without any hitches or traumas! It appears to be working smoothly without any slowing or delays. My only problem now is to find the lengthy ethernet cable which I know is lurking around in the house somewhere, so that I can register! Our wireless Wi-fi router was positioned right out of the way so that it wouldn't get disturbed.

Goldfynche, Oct 3, 2017
  6. Goldfynche

Goldfynche

OK. I eventually found my ethernet cable. Connected to the router and the laptop and it found the internet immediately! Went straight to Microsoft. Registered XP automatically. Absolutely no problems or delays.
    I haven't been able to sign into the forum as yet.

Goldfynche, Oct 3, 2017
Ask a Question