Installing Service Pack 3

Discussion in 'Windows XP Installation and Setup' started by Cecil Fox, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Cecil Fox

Cecil Fox

Have completed and validated a clean reinstall of XP with SP2. (The XP disc came with the computer many years ago) Have downloaded (not available from Microsoft) Service Pack 3 Setup and been greeted with:- "Service Pack 3 cannot update a checked (debug) system with a free (retail) version of Service Pack 3,or vice versa." Help would be much appreciated.

Cecil Fox, Oct 16, 2017
  2. Cecil Fox

priscus

3. Cecil Fox

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Oct 16, 2017
  4. Cecil Fox

Cecil Fox

Many thanks for replies which enabled me to jnstall SP3

Cecil Fox, Oct 17, 2017
  5. Cecil Fox

Baldrick

Hi Elizabeth

Can I apply the upgrade WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe immediately after reinstalling Windows XP Home SP2 from my machine's original "Already Installed On Your Computer" disk? I don't have access to the internet since my reinstall.

Regards

Baldrick, Mar 7, 2018
  6. Cecil Fox

Elizabeth23

anything you want to install can be downloaded to a flash drive from a working pc, and then carried over to the non working pc, and installed.

in order to get to microsoft updates, you need sp3 and ie8, which you can get from my onedrive also, and you will most likely need the ethernet driver for your pc

what is the make, model, and model number of your pc,
    32bit or 64bit

Elizabeth23, Mar 8, 2018
  7. Cecil Fox

Baldrick

I thought SP3 the upgrade might need a larger file hence my question.

I have a Dell Dimension 3000 32bit machine using a 3Com USB Wireless Adapter to access my Router. Internet access worked before the XP reinstall but I hadn't considered IE8. It currently has the default IE6 which didn't inhibit getting onto the 'net last time I reinstalled XP.

(I'm thinking of starting a new thread regarding my access problems alongside this to see if anyone recognises it.)

Many thanks for your assistance.

Baldrick, Mar 9, 2018
  8. Cecil Fox

Elizabeth23

you can install an ethernet driver to get online through a lan. you could possibly get online with ie6, but it is very insecure, when I do a reinstall, the first thing I do after installing offline all I want installed , is go to microsoft updates and get all the updates that I need. I download firefox esr and use that to get online, but only after I have gone through microsoft updates.

you need to get the drivers HERE and there is a certain order to install drivers on a dell see THIS article

a genuine sp3 is 316MB

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=D7389B68B3A275AD!834&cid=D7389B68B3A275AD

on my one drive above you need ie8, sp3 and the 4.5 version of the installer, that is the latest installer for xp. and you could also download all the ie8 updates and install individually. I like to do this before going online.

Elizabeth23, Mar 9, 2018
  9. Cecil Fox

Baldrick

many thanks for those links and guidance, Elizabeth

Baldrick, Mar 9, 2018
Ask a Question