iexplore freezes computer

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by dale5351, Jan 2, 2013.

1. dale5351

dale5351

I suspected as much -- haven't done it yet, but will be doing it.

I've done that, and tried running with IE7 for a while. Problem occurs in either one.

dale5351, Jan 10, 2013
  2. dale5351

Elizabeth23

3. dale5351

km8919

you can do a system restore if any virus or system errors is infected your pc it will restore your pc in a previous state here are steps to restore the system

1. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore.

2.On the Welcome to System Restore page, click to select the Restore my computer to an earlier time option, and then click Next.

3. On the Select a Restore Point page, click the most recent system restore point in the On this list, click a restore point list, and then click Next.

4. On the Confirm Restore Point Selection page, click Next. System Restore restores the previous Windows XP configuration, and then restarts the computer.

5. Log on to the computer as an administrator. Then, click OK on the System Restore Restoration Complete page.

If you successfully restored your computer to a previous state and the computer runs as expected, you are finished.

km8919, Jan 16, 2013
  4. dale5351

Elizabeth23

KM 8919:

System Restore is a good tool to use, however,if a pc is infected with a virus, then chances are the restore points are infected also, it is better to purge your restore points and then run scans to clean your system, and then create a new restore point.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
    Elizabeth23, Jan 16, 2013
  5. dale5351

dale5351

I am still working on trying to solve the problem with iexplore.exe freezing and locking up the computer. No joy yet, despite many things tried. I've gone over to the techguy formum to see if they can offer any advice.

Thanks for your efforts.

dale5351, Jan 20, 2013
  6. dale5351

Elizabeth23

You are welcome and sorry I could not help you, but if you decide to do a clean install let me know and I can provide instructions.

Also if you do find a solution post here so anyone searching for a solution will read your response. :)

Elizabeth23, Jan 21, 2013
  7. dale5351

dale5351

One of the things tried is to uninstall a lot of Java 6.X things, and then reinstall Java 7.X. That did not cure the problem, but it is something that got recommended someplace.

I am convinced that there is some setting that is set wrong for her user -- probably a result of trying to transfer her old settings (favorites, cookies, documents & settings, etc.) from her old computer to this one. I've been through the various settings on the menus dozens of times looking for differences between her user and mine without finding whatever it is that is wrong.

Work continues.

dale5351, Jan 21, 2013
  8. dale5351

Elizabeth23

ok, hope you find something. :)

Elizabeth23, Jan 21, 2013
  9. dale5351

dale5351

Here is some feed back for you. We believe that the problem has been solved.

The evidence is strong that there is some sort of conflict / problem between my Nortons Security and the web site attempting to play a sound on a "start navigation" event -- especially when it does so multiple times in rapid succession. The main clue was looking at the thread of the locked-up iexplore.exe. It was always stuck on something called "playsound".

I was shown where to find that sound (control panel -> sounds & audio properties -> sounds tab -> down to windows explorer and then to "start navigation"). I reset the sound from "click" to none, and hence forth the lock-ups have stopped.

The lockups also stopped if I uninstalled Nortons and installed MS Security Essentials, but for me that is not a viable solution since MSSE is rated much lower than Nortons.

Today I did an experiment of turning the sound back on, and got a lockup within five minutes. Combined with running for almost a week with no problems when that sound was turned off, I consider that to be fairly conclusive evidence as to the source of the conflict.

Thanks again for your efforts.

dale5351, Feb 2, 2013
  10. dale5351

Elizabeth23

Glad you resolved it, but really Norton screws up Windows a lot, whereas MSE does not, I have been running MSE for over 3 years, no problems. I have MSE on real time and on demand run MBAM and SAS.

Have a good day. :)

Elizabeth23, Feb 2, 2013
  11. dale5351

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Feb 2, 2013
  12. dale5351

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Feb 17, 2016
Ask a Question