IDE to SATA converter

My cd drives have died and my research online proves it is cheaper to buy a converter and use a sata dvd burner. I was wondering if anyone has done this and if it will work? :)

I bought several of those adapters, but mainly for hdd's. They work with cdroms too.
I have a dozen or more ide cdroms I saved (by manufacture date-and actually, appearance/cleanliness!). I saved some mobo's with sata & ide conns, if I decide to do a bunch of burning, I use a comp with (newer) a sata cdrom. For occaisional use the ide units work fine.
I think I paid like (seriously) $1.80 each on ebay for the ones I bought.
They work in reverse also:
Plug a sata device into an ide port and plug ide into sata.

Also, check here:
https://www.monoprice.com/pages/allcategories
https://www.monoprice.com/pages/allcategories

A lot of the items they dont have, but they have most, and relatively cheap.

-c-

My cd drives have died and my research online proves it is cheaper to buy a converter and use a sata dvd burner. I was wondering if anyone has done this and if it will work? :)

I would think you have a SATA port on the motherboard, anything P4 or never should have one. The power supply might not have sata power but that's just a standard adapter that changes a CDrom plug to a Sata power plug.

That must be a P3 or older but even some of those had one. In this case you need a PCI card. It gives you a couple of sata ports. Its called PCI sata or PCI to sata.

ive seen a few online...it does work great for cd rom and cd burner drives but does also work for hard drives which is my aim someday as my hd is only 50GB, would have loved 500 but ok..

but the converter will work, so I will use that, especially since I already bought it, :)

I think you are talking about the plug with a buffer chip in between that goes to the IDE port. If that's the case yes it works but you are not using SATA. it is just converting SATA down to ide, where as the PCI card is adding real sata support. We could be talking about different things but I always added a sata drive with a PCI card

Last edited:
Thanks all, I did not want to spend more than I have to on this pc, there are no sata ports on my motherboard which is a dell custom oem bios and motherboard, but the converter works fine, Imgburn was always giving me errors when I tried to burn anything on my old cd drive, but I got a Hl dt st dvdram gh24nsc0 and it works great, I do not care if it has sata properties or not, I just want to be able to burn iso's etc. So am happy now, the drive cost only 20 dollars and the converter costs only 18, so that was not too much to spend on a pc that may or may not last, it has lasted since 2003 so far, :)

Thanks all, I did not want to spend more than I have to on this pc, there are no sata ports on my motherboard which is a dell custom oem bios and motherboard, but the converter works fine, Imgburn was always giving me errors when I tried to burn anything on my old cd drive, but I got a Hl dt st dvdram gh24nsc0 and it works great, I do not care if it has sata properties or not, I just want to be able to burn iso's etc. So am happy now, the drive cost only 20 dollars and the converter costs only 18, so that was not too much to spend on a pc that may or may not last, it has lasted since 2003 so far, :)
Why not try CdburnerXp?

In another post somewhere here, I listed about 15 different burners and none of them worked since my cd drive had a bad block or something like that, but I am set now, :)

Back