I thought the Core2Duo and Core2Quad CPUs are 64bit

I thought the Core2Duo and Core2Quad CPUs are 64bit, yet I have programs that will not install on XP, but install on Windows 7 64bit. Most machines I have use the Core2Duo or Quad, or I3, I5, I7.

Certain things just will not run on XP, regardless of processor. This depends on the software developer, not necessarily the hardware.

The Intel Core 2 Duo and Intel Core 2 Quad legacy processors do have a 64-bit architecture.

I have a Windows XP Pro SP3 32-bit computer that I've been using for testing purposes for a long time.

More and more third-party apps keep dropping support for and will no longer install in Windows XP.

Some third-party apps also have separate install files for 32-bit(x86) and 64-bit(x64), so make sure you select the correct one to install.

Well, the guys here will benefit enormously from your extensive experience with XP, so I'm sure they'll appreciate that. I hang around here more for the 'crack', and nostalgia's sake, than anything else, though I do try to give advice where I'm still able to.

I used to use it a lot, but as you know, I switched to Linux shortly after EOL. Some of the guys here do seem to be aware that it's no longer really 'safe', and run Linux themselves; others seem grimly determined to hang onto a desperately out-of-date 'legacy' OS. They're a pretty ingenious bunch, though; I will give 'em that!

There's not much they don't seem to be able to solve, or find a workaround for....

A belated 'Welcome' to the Forum, BTW. :)

Mike. ;)

Thanks, Mike.
I use Windows XP Pro SP3 32-bit only for testing purposes, so I run it and update its still-supported apps about once a month.
My install disc is fully patched to the unofficial April 2019 "end of life" date, so that greatly shortens the time to install and update it.
Frank :)

I thought the Core2Duo and Core2Quad CPUs are 64bit, yet I have programs that will not install on XP, but install on Windows 7 64bit. Most machines I have use the Core2Duo or Quad, or I3, I5, I7.

Both are 64-bit, but you also need a 64-bit version of XP or XP Pro...if you have that, then something is fishy, as you should be able to run any 64-bit software that is compatible with Windows XP.

Back