I think my Dad's computer has been hacked

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by SmilinDoug, Dec 3, 2019.

1. SmilinDoug

SmilinDoug

So my Dad called me day before yesterday and tells me he got a popup saying "USB device over current detected". He said it also gave him a phone number to call. So he thought it was Verizon. He said they got control of his computer and did a bunch of things to it. I don't know what he told them or what information he gave them.

So yesterday he calls me and told me he got hacked. He said if he calls that number they can get into his computer and it works fine. I don't know the whole story. They're also asking almost $1,500 to fix it.

So my question is...

If someone hacks into a computer, what info can they get?

Can they get the Windows 10 key/number so they can sell or use it themselves?

Can they get any personal info about my Dad?

What about passwords? Can they get those too?

I wish he would have called me first. I could have used the $1,500. hahaha

SmilinDoug, Dec 3, 2019
  2. SmilinDoug

Elizabeth23

wipe computer and reinstall OS

change all passwords

Elizabeth23, Dec 4, 2019
    SmilinDoug and Janice like this.
  3. SmilinDoug

SmilinDoug

We reinstalled Windows 10. Hopefully he'll change all the passwords. He's 86 and stubborn so he might not, but I'm giving him a notebook to write all his passwords down so he doesn't forget them. I tweaked some settings last night so Windows 10 will run faster and smoother, and I installed Firefox too. He probably won't listen to me anyway, and he'll get the same problems in the future. Maybe I should charge him everytime he does something stupid. :)

And thank you for posting. But no one told me what info the hackers might be able to get. I hope no one tries to steal his identity, if that could happen.

SmilinDoug, Dec 5, 2019
  4. SmilinDoug

Elizabeth23

identity can be stolen from papers thrown in the trash, all you can do is change all your info and keep an eye on statements, credit card info etc to make sure that the only activities shown are what you have done. :)

Elizabeth23, Dec 5, 2019
    SmilinDoug likes this.
  5. SmilinDoug

SmilinDoug

I remember watching a Youtube video where this guy hacked a hacker. I guess he had software to do this, and while he and the other guy (hacker) were talking on the phone, he did a bunch of stuff to the hackers computer. At the end of the video, the good guy said "I deleted all your files". I don't know if it's true/real, but it was funny. I like when bad things happen to bad people. :D

SmilinDoug, Dec 6, 2019
  6. SmilinDoug

ClippyBeer

For starters they can access passwords saved in your web browser which is why you should never use this feature.
    Yes.
    If they went through his browser cache and saw that he visited websites that required personal/financial information it's quite possible, especially if he had passwords saved in the web browser.

You did the right thing by re-installing the OS to remove any malware they may have left behind. It is foolish not changing all passwords, a decision that will probably cost more than the $1500 they were asking to 'fix' his PC.

Then you might like this website: https://www.419eater.com/

ClippyBeer, Dec 7, 2019
    SmilinDoug likes this.
  7. SmilinDoug

esyede

You might consider installing DeepFreeze and lock your C: drive

esyede, Dec 10, 2019
  8. SmilinDoug

Computer semi-expert

Yes to all questions.

Computer semi-expert, Dec 15, 2019
    SmilinDoug likes this.
  9. SmilinDoug

SmilinDoug

My Dad is very stubborn and doesn't want to change all his passwords. I told him he's going to have a whole bunch of problems again. Luckily he doesn't do any of his banking online. He drives to the bank and does that.

SmilinDoug, Dec 16, 2019
Ask a Question