I Really Did It This Time!

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by cornemuse, Jan 16, 2019.

1. cornemuse

cornemuse

I installed a 2 way hdmi switch to be able to send video from computer to my tv set. I kept getting nothing on either monitor or tv. I forced it off, several times before checking vid connections. I had connected all the cables into the 3 'output' sockets on the (3 way) switch. Anyways, I screwed up the op system. Tried various commands in recovery console to no avail. (I have 3 removable drive bay trays) I just removed the switch, (gettin' long winded here!), & plugged in another bootable drive in the comp. Then plugged the screwed up drive into a diff bay. It popped up just fine. Had to assign a drive letter to it (device manager). Anyway, I copied all data I wanted to another hdd.

So, how would I go about re-installing the os (XP-64) preferably without wiping out the data??

Oh, yes, the damaged drive shows up as a 'raw' drive. 'Duckducking' (nomoregoogle!), changing raw to basic basically wipes out everything on the drive. Software to convert without data loss is expensive as typically, most people have one drive in their comps, & companys treat this issue as "data recovery", as in 'manna from heaven' I would really prefer to fix the drive rather than starting from scratch.
    Like I said, I have all my critical saved.

Any Ideas out there??

-corne-

-c-

cornemuse, Jan 16, 2019
  2. cornemuse

Elizabeth23

on the bad drive can an os be seen at all?, then you could perform a repair install which will save your data, BUT if the repair cd is at sp2 then the os will revert to sp2, so use a cd with sp3 slipstreamed onto it.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-perform-a-windows-xp-repair-install-2624915

http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/how-to-reinstall-or-repair-windows-xp/

=============

did you run checkdisk on the drive? use the /r parameter and run at least twice.

Elizabeth23, Jan 16, 2019
  3. cornemuse

cornemuse

You mean 'Windows" folder on the hdd? Yes, its there. Its just when booting, never gets past the (black) screen saying "windows\system32\config\system file is missing or corrupt" I actually replaced this file (yes from a working xp 64 hdd), didnt fix the problem.

Its XP-64 sp-2, 64 has only sp-2

I will try a repair install. I b/u'd all data, its just a pita to reinstall os if it comes to that, , , ,

cornemuse, Jan 17, 2019
  4. cornemuse

Elizabeth23

you can still run checkdisk, try that first before a clean install and it does not matter for 64bit, and sp2, :) with the recovery console

Elizabeth23, Jan 17, 2019
  5. cornemuse

cornemuse

chkdsk was the 1st thing I tried, , , ,

cornemuse, Jan 18, 2019
  6. cornemuse

Elizabeth23

I am not sure why it reads as raw disk if you can get the data off from another computer. but you might have to reinstall, sorry.

Elizabeth23, Jan 19, 2019
  7. cornemuse

Computer semi-expert

Try Lazesoft Recovery Suite (www.lazesoft.com). Choose Data Recovery from main menu, choose Deep Scan, select the drive, click Next, select Automatic Drive Recovery, and click Start Search. Once it finishes, check the drive in the left panel and click Save Files. Save the recovered data somewhere. Then use Disk Image and Clone > Backup (Drive to image) to make a backup of your drive just in case.
    Now format your XP drive as NTFS and copy your recovered files to the drive. Now you can use the Recovery Console or do a repair install to fix XP.
    Hope this helps!

Computer semi-expert, Jan 19, 2019
  8. cornemuse

Elizabeth23

cornemuse already recovered the data, he's trying to get the disk back to normal from raw without formatting. :)

Elizabeth23, Jan 19, 2019
  9. cornemuse

Computer semi-expert

I know. This is going to be probably the easiest, if not the only, way to do it. He's going to get a copy of his files backed up, then format his drive to NTFS. Then he can copy his files back to his drive. When he does that, he will have his files back on his drive, in NTFS. The only problem I can see with this is that he will need to reinstall his MBR.

Computer semi-expert, Jan 19, 2019
  10. cornemuse

cornemuse

What I've done is 'new' installed XP 64 on a 250 gig ssd. Didnt take near as long as I expected. Boots like you wouldnt believe! Graphics like 'ditto!' I will eventually attempt repair install, but this new setup is too good to go back.

I use PaintDotNet for graphics, (tried photoshop irfan etc etc, dont like 'em) I figured out how to install it, (PDN) without going online. (NO a/v for w-xp 64). I had prevoiusly d/l'ed "Dot net framework" version needed to install PDN. Installed it 1st, & then clicked from 'install pdn 3.51 (?) last version to run with XP. Almost instantly said basically, "all files d/l'ed you can disconnect now" Was not connect, actually not even setup lan/network setup, then in about another 15-20 seconds, (with a few clicks),PDN was installed.
    Dont need a huge ssd, this one is WD 250 gigs. All data is on hdd, manipulation is done on ssd & it only reads/writes data from hdd. Very fast! Prolly could get away with a 60 gig ssd.

Anyways, FWIW, , ,

-c-

cornemuse, Jan 23, 2019
    Elizabeth23 likes this.
  11. cornemuse

Computer semi-expert

I have a computer that has XP on about a 20 gig partition. The only problem is, I messed it up so it doesn't boot right but other than that it worked in the past.

Computer semi-expert, Jan 24, 2019
  12. cornemuse

cornemuse

Found one issue. On 'display properties' - 'desktop', comp will not keep 'stretch' setting, allus goes to 'center'. Somebody here I think gave regedit setting to force this. Liz maybe?? I had copied instructions to a doc but cant find it.

cornemuse, Jan 27, 2019
  13. cornemuse

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Jan 28, 2019
  14. cornemuse

cornemuse

Thank you Liz!!

cornemuse, Jan 28, 2019
  15. cornemuse

Elizabeth23

no problem :)

Elizabeth23, Jan 29, 2019
  16. cornemuse

cornemuse

Finally did a repair install. Computer boots ok, but, it now boots to F:\. In 'my computer', I have D:\, (cdrom), and F:\. In disk management, shows F & D. F is one 500g partition. No shortcuts work as they are to (C:\). some progs work, some dont. I use 'ultrasearch' and it returns I have to be administrator to run it. (I have to log on as administrator with this comp at startup). If I 'start menu' 'run', the box will not accept any text typed. start menu search is the same. Disk management will not allow me to change drive letter to C:\. Divice manager shows 'one' drive. Tried 're' installing some progs, but, 'have to be logged on as administrator'.

I am at a complete loss, , , , ,

-c-

cornemuse, Mar 5, 2019
  17. cornemuse

Elizabeth23

how did you perform your repair install?

was the repair done on c:?

have you tried to change the letter if it was originally c: ?

Elizabeth23, Mar 6, 2019
  18. cornemuse

Elizabeth23

in reference to my above answer, sorry it was so late, I evidently forgot to press post, :)

Elizabeth23, Mar 6, 2019
  19. cornemuse

cornemuse

Installed CD, at option, (r) repair install. OK. F:\properties tools chkdsk (twice)
    Then: diskpart: (notice F:\windows\sys32\diskpart!!!)

untitled.jpg

Plugged in a thumb drive (with these images) Its C:\
    untitled3.jpg
    Still have all my original data, think I'll start over, I have original hdd created for just this sort of thing, lotta stuff has been added over the years, have to re-add to my cloned from bu cloner hdd. <- runs on 3 identical computers is why I have/kept it.

cornemuse, Mar 7, 2019
  20. cornemuse

Elizabeth23

I really do not know why it changed your drive letter to f: and cannot seem to formulate a question to do a search for, just keep getting hits on repairing xp. :(

Elizabeth23, Mar 7, 2019
Ask a Question