I need to block Firefox from accessing my computer

Discussion in 'Windows XP Security' started by Janice, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Janice

jim davis

where is this search options thing, I don't have one, I go to tools, then options, then General then "When Firefox starts" --show my home page
    which is start page,

jim davis, Feb 8, 2019
  2. Janice

Elizabeth23

the only exceptions I allow on my firewall are 360 antivirus, everything else is unchecked or deleted , ESPECIALLY, remote assistance, everything dealing with remote is disabled or deleted on my computer.

Elizabeth23, Feb 8, 2019
  3. Janice

ClippyBeer

My reason to use FF was negated too!;)

You want 0.0.3, that is the most recent version and the one with the Portable option. It also comes with DuckDuckGo as default search, no Google search at all - if you want Google search you will have to manually add it from Mozilla's add-ons site.

I don't see anything unusual in your Firewall exceptions (I see that you are using EaseUS Todo Backup and AOMEI), good job un-selecting UPnP, that's a security risk - how often do you allow remote access to your computer? I see you have Remote Assistance enabled - you should probably un-check it in your Firewall, allowing it ONLY when you are going to allow someone you trust to connect remotely to assist with PC issues. And by someone you trust I am NOT referring to a random caller with a bad accent claiming to be from Microsoft Tech Support having detected a problem with your computer and need to be granted remote access!:eek::eek::eek:

I am left scratching my head as to why FF keeps changing search settings. Get Centaury, try it with all your extensions and favorite websites, gleefully kick Firefox to the curb.

ClippyBeer, Feb 8, 2019
  4. Janice

Janice

Thank you I will get 0.0.3. Are there any privacy concerns with (DDG) Duck Duck Go? I always thought 'no' but there was something in the forum about my ISP spying on me with DDG. Do you know of any such privacy breach with DDG?
    Not bloody likely:eek:
    The answer is NEVER. I know I should have blocked this earlier bur sometimes I get lazy and forget. I am thinking of following Elizabeth and unchecking everything. I don't allow any automatic updates from any web site. So I don't see why I shouldn't block all programs from connecting to the internet unless I want them to. Why not block them all :mad:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    Janice, Feb 8, 2019
  5. Janice

ClippyBeer

DuckDuckGo is all about privacy:

https://duckduckgo.com/about

If you are referring to a recent unintelligible post in this thread about DuckDuckGo making you a sitting duck I would disregard it as there were no specific examples cited and DuckDuckGo uses HTTPS encryption for searches.

Let us know how you get on replacing Firefox with Centaury and if any issues with websites/extensions occur.

ClippyBeer, Feb 9, 2019
  6. Janice

Janice

I am using Centaury and it is working fine. Downloaded Privacy Badger(PB) and Ghostery from Mozilla Addons. Only PB is working. Ghostery 8.3.1 is installed but the icon is greyed out and no activity. Noscript and Self-Destructing Cookies are not downloadable from Mozilla Addons. Which versions of these should I use with Centauri and what is the best place to download them and what can I do about Ghostery?

I also need a desktop shortcut but among the Centaury files I am unable to find the correct file to right click and create the shortcut..

How is Centaury updated?

Then there is the list of search engines. Please see attachment. What are the last 2 items. One looks like a Russian search engine.

Thank you

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    Janice, Feb 11, 2019
  7. Janice

ClippyBeer

Surprised you got Privacy Badger working from Mozilla Addons - I haven't been able to get ANY addon from Mozilla working on any XP based browser (the changed to a new format called WEBEX). I've had to resort to legacy archives to get addons that will work with Centaury/MyPal etc.

Since you got Privacy Badger working we'll focus on the ones that don't.

Here's a NoScript archive:

http://legacycollector.org/firefox-addons/722/index.html

Scroll down and install the latest one at the botttom 5.1.8.4., you will receive a prompt that Centaury prevented this site from asking you to install software on your computer, click 'Allow'.

Ghostery archive:

http://legacycollector.org/firefox-addons/9609/index.html

Scroll down and install the one at the bottom 6.3.2. you will receive a prompt that Centaury prevented this site from asking you to install software on your computer, click 'Allow'.

I wasn't able to find anywhere on the web that had a legacy version of Self-Destructing Cookies to download but I did have it backed up as I do ALL extensions I find useful and am attaching it in this post.

Extract the XPI file then in Centaury in the Add-on menu you will see a gear icon in the top, right next to 'Search Add-ons'. Click it and select 'Install Add-on from file'... choose the XPI file you just extracted and you now have Self-Destructing Cookies. Do yourself a favor, keep all these XPI files backed up somewhere because you never know when they will disappear from the internet.

Creating a shortcut is easy - in explorer find the directory where you installed Centaury and select the Centaury.exe file with left mouse button then right-click with your mouse - select 'Send to' and 'Desktop (create shorcut)'

[​IMG]

Those extra russian search engines come with Centaury. If they bother you just delete'em.

[​IMG]

Finally, Centaury is updated manually. You can keep checking the author's Github repository for current releases.

https://github.com/Feodor2/Centaury/releases

I strongly recommend against upgrading just because it's new. Sometimes bugs get introduced, things stop working, features you like get removed, etc. Don't upgrade unless you have to.

Attached Files:

ClippyBeer, Feb 12, 2019
  8. Janice

Janice

Thank you for all the help. All add-ons are working fine and the Shortcut is created. I couldn't find the Centaury.exe earlier :eek: There only two boxes, 'Disable' and 'Remove' adjacent to Ghostery in Add-ons Manager. The 'Options' box that is found next to the other Add-ons is missing in Ghostery. Is this normal?
    Do you mean never to upgrade but use this as it is?

Janice, Feb 14, 2019
  9. Janice

ClippyBeer

Some extensions will have that box and some won't - I wasn't even aware that Ghostery was supposed to have it till I installed the latest version 8.3.1 in Firefox 52. Which brings me to my next point. I previously stated that ALL FF52 extensions will work in Centaury. That was wrong - I should have stated that MOST FF52 extensions will work in Centaury - Ghostery 8.3.1 is not one of them.

Remove Ghostery from Centaury and instead install version 6.0.3 from the Ghostery archive I had previously posted - that one DOES have the 'Options' box and appears to function perfectly in Centaury 0.0.3 during my brief testing.

Make sure you have unchecked "Update Add-ons Automatically" or you may find some extensions (Ghostery) won't work right or at all.
    [​IMG]
    You'll have to use your own discretion although you are using XP thus proving that newer versions aren't always the best versions.

In any case please provide us with any feedback on your experiences replacing Firefox with Centaury. Specifically any issues you encounter with websites or extensions you use.

ClippyBeer, Feb 15, 2019
  10. Janice

Janice

Ghostery 6.0.3 is now installed and the 'Options' box is back. Automatic Updates are set to 'Off' in all Add-ons.
    I shall certainly do so. Everything is fine so far.

Thank you.

Janice, Feb 15, 2019
Ask a Question