I need help fixing Windows XP sp3

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by flightsimmer, Jun 1, 2018.

1. flightsimmer

flightsimmer

I have Windows XP sp3 on a Dell XPS Pentium 4, tower computer.

I also have an Iomega external hard drive that I used to back up (supposedly) all of my operating system, files and programs with a program called True Image. I did this when everything was working great and no known problems.

I got some kind of automatic update about three weeks ago that ended in the numbers 1009 and I have had a problem getting on the INTERNET ever since. I can get on eventually but it takes 4-5 minutes and once I do it works OK as long as I use my BOOKMARKS page.

In trying to fix it with free software I have run into several ad-ware that keeps coming up wanting to sell me stuff but I just don't want to throw money at something that might not help anyway.

Is there a place that I can print out instructions on how to clean up my Windows XP program and get it back to like new condition for free? I just cannot see putting a bunch of money in this old machine but it works and I don't want to throw it out until it's beyond help.

flightsimmer, Jun 1, 2018
  2. flightsimmer

WindowsXPforever

Back up your personall info photos videos and make a clean install or just uninstall the ad ware program

WindowsXPforever, Jun 1, 2018
  3. flightsimmer

flightsimmer

I have it all, OS included, backed up (I hope) on my Iomega external hard drive with "TRUE IMAGE" software.
    I don't believe or I'm not sure that I ever had the Win XP install disk, I'll have to search and I know it didn't have SP3 when new.

I have no idea at present where to find or how to remove the persistent add ware that came with the FREE computer diagnostics download. I know just enough about computers to be dangerous.
    Is there a publication like "Troubleshooting Win XP for Dummies?" So I don't have to take up someones time?

flightsimmer, Jun 2, 2018
  4. flightsimmer

Elizabeth23

if you choose not to reinstall, then run a full scan with your antivirus and then run a full scan with malwarebytes free, run and reboot until all scans come clean.

Elizabeth23, Jun 2, 2018
  5. flightsimmer

flightsimmer

I could not figure out the download for malwarebytes free and it doesn't appear to be free at $40, 14 day trial? It seems they are free but they load you down with adware to get you to buy before they will fix it. I've already got plenty of that.

But I did find one called "TOTAL AV" which seems to cover everything and claims to be free. Would that work?

I have been using a program called "AVG" but I don't think it is up to date because it didn't seem to help.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    flightsimmer, Jun 2, 2018
  6. flightsimmer

Elizabeth23

https://www.malwarebytes.com/

above is the download page, you are offered a free download and yes it has a 14 day free trial that reverts to manual after 14 days, or you can go into the settings and disable the automatic start and the trial which then instantly tells you the trial is over and goes to manual scan only.

I have been using malwarebytes for years, for free.

I am not sure that avg still supports xp, I use 360 Total security essentials by qihoo, which still supports xp, but the free version now throws up a few ads, but I just decline and keep on going.

I like to download the full package for offline install (under the download button), and also the database for bitdefender and avira, (in a green box, to the right of the screen, just scroll down a little) then I disconnect from the web, install 360 and the databases, enable all the engines, change the protection to security, then run a custom scan of the entire drive, and then when clean I can reconnect to the internet. Malwarebytes has to connect to the internet to run, that is why I keep it as an on demand scanner.

I have not heard of Total AV, but if it still supports xp, then go with it if you like it.

Elizabeth23, Jun 3, 2018
  7. flightsimmer

flightsimmer

Well I went ahead and checked out "Total AV" it is in fact "AVG" which I already have but it was no help. I did scan my computer and it did say my computer was clean with no problems which left me wondering if it was true or is it a system file problem.

Now! again my only complaint was that suddenly I could no longer get on the internet reasonable quick after an "Automatic update file" that ended in 1009 it takes up to 4-5 minutes to finally load and I stumbled onto the work-around of loading "Bookmarks" first and then waiting, then if I use my bookmark page they all load very quickly.

The only other "Known" problem is all of this "Adware" from supposedly free help programs trying to get me to buy.

I did find my Win XP with SP1 install disk but the Dell manual says to use it only if instructed by one of their technicians. It did say something about a repair option but I haven't tried it because I don't know what I'm doing.

flightsimmer, Jun 3, 2018
  8. flightsimmer

Elizabeth23

if you want to reinstall , I can give you links with instructions and also help you if you like, you would first want to copy all your data to a flash drive or cd.

you can uninstall any update that was installed, I am not sure how you got an update as xp has not been supported since 2014, I turn off automatic updates since I do not need updates, I can check the Microsoft Update Catalog for any newer updates if any should occur and see if I want to install them or not.

you can also go to add/remove programs in the control panel and if you see a program that you did not install, then uninstall it. If you click the box on top that says to show all updates you should be able to find the update you are talking about and uninstall it.

Are you using firefox?? if so then download the latest version for xp which is version 52.8.0 ESR, save to desktop and then disconnect from internet, uninstall firefox and then reinstall the one you saved to the desktop, firefox keeps date in c:/documents and settings/ your user name/ application data/mozilla/firefox/profiles in this folder are stored your bookmarks and logins etc. you can copy the pertinent files

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profiles-where-firefox-stores-user-data

read the above link on what firefox saves in this folder.

you can use adware cleaner, I have used this program lots of times just to keep a check on my machine:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

Elizabeth23, Jun 3, 2018
  9. flightsimmer

flightsimmer

I will be working on your suggestions today (Sunday) and thanks for your help.

Now something that might help track down the problem (maybe not), I do use Firefox with my Linux Mint 17.2 installation which is on my 16 gb USB thumb drive and it works fine. But it is not yet installed in my Windows XP operating system, I will load it this afternoon. So far I have not seen Version 52.8 but I will look again later.

Now I looked at the "add/remove programs" and checked the box "show updates" and looked it over pretty close but I did not see anything that jumped out at me like "1009" that I was looking for. I was going to copy/paste it into this forum but it is a long list (unless you want me to).

Now the adware is another story that I have not addressed yet, maybe later.

Thanks for your help, Dan.

10. flightsimmer

flightsimmer

OK, I found Firefox 52.8 ESR and it's on my desktop, I will install it later today.

I'm thinking the update I saw was a fraud/Malware or something.

11. flightsimmer

Elizabeth23

disconnect from internet
    go to start/search by the way I use Search Companion,
    in tools choose, folder options
    on the view tab, choose show hidden files, uncheck -hide known extensions and hide system files
    then do a search for any term such as "Ad"
    search the entire c: drive
    and ensure that you have checked search hidden files in the search options.

in the resulting list of the right hand side box, right click each mysterious entry that you cannot define, and choose open containing folder, when the folder opens, then delete that particular item.

I do this whenever I have installed and then uninstalled a program, that way I make sure that it is removed from my pc, then I do a search of the registry also. but you have to be careful there, :)

Elizabeth23, Jun 3, 2018
  12. flightsimmer

flightsimmer

OK! I got Firefox installed as you directed and it seems to be working great. I imported all of my bookmarks and stuff and I seem to be back in business with no apparent problems so I'm guessing that the problem might have been in Google, Chrome but then again Internet Explorer didn't work either. Well, no matter now unless I just want to fix Chrome for the sake of it. My guess would be do the same thing as I did with Firefox, I.E. download the proper Chrome file, Delete the old Chrome program, disconnect from the Internet and install but not make it the default browser.

Now as to the "Ad" search, I did everything as you directed there, WOW! There are a lot of files there but I didn't see anything that I didn't already know about and nothing seemed suspicious or out of place and the search apparently found nothing unless it is in the programs themselves.

I'll run it for a while and see how everything goes and how annoying the ad's are before I go any farther with it. I thank you very much for your help Elizabeth23, I wish I could return the favor. Have a great day.

13. flightsimmer

Elizabeth23

you can run an internet search on any file to see what it is and what it does

chrome does not support xp anymore, and IE is very outdated, I only use IE for one website and the rest I use firefox with firefox as my default browser.

you have a good day also. :)

Elizabeth23, Jun 3, 2018
  14. flightsimmer

Mike_Walsh

@ Liz:-

Hardly needs saying, I know, but the only way you still get occasional updates (and I do mean 'occasional' now!) is if you have the POS-ready 'hack' installed (and auto-updates still enabled). But even that only has another 10 months of life left in it...

IMHO, after that there is going to be no justifiable reason for anyone to still be using XP. Not online, anyway. It's not safe now; it'll be worse still come this time next year, bearing in mind that XP's 'security model' is far more lax than newer versions of Windows.

Off-line, of course, you can use it till the cows come home..! Still a very good system for lots of multimedia apps. One thing I have found using Linux, and that is that audio and video reproduction under Linux just aren't as good; Microsoft spent a lot of years developing those capabilities in Windows to a very high level.

Mike. ;)

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    Mike_Walsh, Jun 5, 2018
  15. flightsimmer

Mike_Walsh

Just as an aside, I guess one way round the above-mentioned on-line security problem might be to install either VirtualBox (or VMWare) - assuming your system has the 'grunt' to run it, of course - then run a lightweight Linux distro inside of it, mainly for its modern browser support. Go on-line with that, use standard XP for everything else.....

Just an idea.....and one which has probably been mentioned on here before. I haven't dug that deep into the Forum archives....

Mike. ;)

Mike_Walsh, Jun 5, 2018
Ask a Question