I keep getting an "Error 05: Error Reading Label" when I try to update my BIOS

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by SmilinDoug, Oct 8, 2019.

1. SmilinDoug

SmilinDoug

The laptop is a Compaq Presario 1255. It's running at 360MHz and has 288MBs of RAM. The update is F14 with a date of 02/09/99. The file name I burned to a floppy disk is sp9678.exe.

The first time I tried flashing the BIOS I started Windows XP, went to start>computer>A drive and double clicked on the file. I had to click on a few answers and then it did it's thing. It got to the end and I got "Error 05: Error Reading Label".

So then I restarted the computer and hit F8 before POST. I selected "Command Prompt" so I can enter DOS. I put the floppy in and typed cd a:\. Then I typed A:\sp9678.exe, then answered a few questions like I did before and let it update the BIOS. It got to the end and I got the "Error 05: Error Reading Label" again. I've tried it a few times both ways and I keep getting the same error message.

Have any of you had this problem before? How did you fix it? Any help any of you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

SmilinDoug, Oct 8, 2019
  2. SmilinDoug

Elizabeth23

have you checked to see if your bios needs updating?

for example I have a dell and the bios is A03, some sites say to update to A11, but the dell driver page says that A03 is the last and latest for my pc. If everything is working fine, then why do you need to flash the bios?

also, dell provides a bios update that can be installed through windows without using a floppy. check your bios version and see if you really need to update, and also with only 288 of ram, your system will barely work with all the updates needed after sp3.:)

Elizabeth23, Oct 8, 2019
  3. SmilinDoug

SmilinDoug

Thanks for replying. I did check the bios and it doesn't say anything about what version is installed. It's a Compaq Presario 1255 and they don't support the laptop since it's so old. I reached out to this guy at www.biosflash.com and he told me the latest bios update was F14 and sent me a link to the download.

So you haven't seen this Error 05 before? It does run pretty good for being so old (kinda like me), but I thought it might run even better with this bios update. I wish we could change cpu's in the new laptops like I did in this old Compaq. The browser I got running in it is Firefox 3, which isn't too bad. I also downloaded Speccy and that doesn't tell me which version of the bios I have either.

SmilinDoug, Oct 9, 2019
  4. SmilinDoug

Elizabeth23

go to start/run/ type in msinfo32 the system summary will list the bios version

Elizabeth23, Oct 9, 2019
    SmilinDoug likes this.
  5. SmilinDoug

SmilinDoug

Thank you. I read that some place before but they didn't have the 32 at the end.

So it's telling me the bios version is 4.06 and the date of that one is 12/31/1998.

And the date of the last bios update is 02/09/99, but that version is called F14.

I've always been told I should have the latest software updates. So now I'm not sure what to do.

The guy from www.biosflash.com sent me this link...

http://hpnotebookdrivers.com/compaq-presario-1255-notebook-pc-windows-98-drivers/

He said it's the ROMPaq one.

SmilinDoug, Oct 10, 2019
Ask a Question