I have accidentally bricked my HDD, any chance for recovery?

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by Beckham23, Jul 12, 2021.

1. Beckham23

Beckham23

Greetings.

My old PCs Windows XP refused to boot, I did the FIXMBR/BOOTCFG commands with Recovery Console, didn't help, so I did a chkdsk /r and after hours of repair, it managed to finish (said it found one or more problems and fixed them).

Following that I restarted the PC and got a blue screen of death shortly after the Windows XP logo with the following error:

STOP 0x00000024 (0x001920203, 0x8A814828, 0xC0000102, 0x00000000)

After some search I've found that its related to the corrupted/deleted NTFS file system.

So what should I do now to prevent losing all my data from that HDD ? Or its highly possible that it isn't salvageable at this point? Another chkdsk? Or something else from the Recovery console might help?

Beckham23, Jul 12, 2021
  2. Beckham23

Mr Siamese Cat

You haven’t said what type of hard drive you have.

The most likely type you have will be a PATA (IDE) or SATA.

It is highly unlikely from your question you have SCSI or SAS

If you have very important data on the hard drive and you don’t know what type of hard drive you have, I strongly recommend you take it to a shop and explain you want data recovered.

If you are comfortable with computers. Do the following

Purchase a USB to SATA or PATA adaptor (One with a power brick. DO not purchase one powered by the USB if you value your data.)

Insert your problem hard drive into adaptor / Caddy etc.

Turn on.

Insert USB cable from this set up into another computer (A friends?) it doesn’t matter if it is XP, or Windows 7 to Windows 10. Locate your documents on the problem hard drive.

Copy your documents to a folder on this other computer then to a USB dongle.

Hopefully now you are safe to experiment trying to get hard drive back working since your important documents are safe.

If you don’t see your documents on the hard drive, then you need to use a program like Restoration which will recover them for you. (Hopefully)

It’s here

https://restoration.en.uptodown.com/windows/download

Remember if your data is important, that is your first priority, not trying to fix the hard drive.

Good Luck

Mr Siamese Cat, Jul 12, 2021
    Samir and Janice like this.
  3. Beckham23

Kahilia

Don't know if Restoration is much different, but data recovery software often complicates the recovery process if the files are harder to acquire. They can find a few files sometimes, if recent, but several times I've had to resort to data recovery firms that use hardware to restore the data.

Hope you'll have luck getting it back!

Kahilia, Jul 14, 2021
    Samir likes this.
  4. Beckham23

red Guest

have you tried this ? remove the drive put in a caddy or just cable to usb and then run as external drive will find all info still there, just dont scan as this will result in errors under win 10 ,then can backup what folders you need,this also lets you reformat drive and use again

red, Jul 19, 2021
    Samir likes this.
Ask a Question