I got two patches today on Patch Tuesday

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by billy gates, Nov 12, 2014.

1. billy gates

billy gates

I received notification on my task bar today ( 11/11/14) that two updates were available for my Windows XP Sp3 ... well hello there .. what could they possibly be .. I wonder ..?????

billy gates, Nov 12, 2014
  2. billy gates

billy gates

malicious softare removal tool..?

Attached Files:

billy gates, Nov 12, 2014
  3. billy gates

Elizabeth23

the malicious removal tool is still being updated by microsoft, you can choose to install or not the decision is yours, if you click on custom install then you can either clear the check box or leave it checked. I had two updates today also, one was the MRT and the other was a security update for office 2007.

If you look in event viewer it will tell you each KB number of what was installed and you can research it online if you do not know what it is.

Elizabeth23, Nov 12, 2014
  4. billy gates

Jojo

A recent experience with M$ installing an update to the Genuine Advantage Tool, which rendered many copies of W7 not genuine has reinforced yet again, that M$ is to be viewed with some caution.

The malicious software remover too, clearly doesn't work. It may in some instances, but given the numbers who still get bothered by malicious software, clearly not enough.

As for something you don't know, that's just a silly risk.

I suggest you turn off updates for XP and do the same in the services. It'll save you a load of resources and keep you clear of M$

Jojo, Nov 14, 2014
  5. billy gates

billy gates

three more new updates today

and today feb 10th / 2015 -- three new updates ... - two for office compatibility pack .. and one for malicious software update ...

billy gates, Feb 10, 2015
  6. billy gates

Elizabeth23

if you choose custom install, and then clear checkbox of malicious software removal tool, and click on close, then there will be another box opened and you can choose to not receive this notification again.

as for office compatibility pack updates, if you try to open a document in word that was made from a later office edition, you will generally be offered a pack update to be able to access the document. so you would not need to have automatic updates turned on at all. :)

Elizabeth23, Feb 11, 2015
  7. billy gates

eatup

The malicious software remover is somewhat a joke. It ruined my perfectly good Media Player Classic install... I've never ran it since.

eatup, Feb 13, 2015
Ask a Question