I give up. !

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Aunty Jack, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Aunty Jack

Aunty Jack

Adelaide, in my dreams as my wife tells me.
    Windows 10 is gone from my life. Uninstalled. Too much time spent trying to put life into dead duck. :mad:

There will be no further posts from me about Windows 10.

Cheers once again at last.

Mark. (Aunty Jack)

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
    Aunty Jack, Sep 9, 2015
  2. Aunty Jack

Termingamer2-JD

A lot of people it seems installed Windows 10 and have gone.
    What are you running now?

Termingamer2-JD, Sep 9, 2015
  3. Aunty Jack

eatup

Ten bucks says this "promising to refrain from Win 10" will last until the Redstone update rolls out. Any takers? Curiosity tends to drag the cat back into the ring.

(Btw, I haven't touched Win10 with a 10-foot pole yet, pun all intended. I did manage to get an ISO of the RTM Enterprise edition, but couldn't be bothered to run it within a WM to test drive it so far... Why? IMHO Win10 may be the only post Vista OS that's too clever to detect itself running inside a VM. As such, my greatest fear is it will invade my privacy like send out my WiFi password like no other OS has operated within a sandboxed VM environment before! Plus, you never know how much MSFT has paid VMWare and Oracle to incorporate anti-privacy features into their virtual hypervisors to facilitate Win10's privacy invasions from within a VM...)

eatup, Sep 9, 2015
  4. Aunty Jack

Termingamer2-JD

I am never upgrading unless I have to get a new PC, or Microsoft issues something that locks XP until you upgrade.

Termingamer2-JD, Sep 21, 2015
  5. Aunty Jack

PJAmerica

I test drove Windows 10. Nothing I experienced was worth the upgrade. It was at best a release candidate when it was RTMed. More like Beta. Windows 7 serves me fine. Besides. Windows 7 or 8 makes no mind. The bastards are spying on use no matter what.

PJAmerica, Sep 22, 2015
  6. Aunty Jack

Aunty Jack

Adelaide, in my dreams as my wife tells me.
    Yes, the bastards are spying. With Windows 8.1 (actually an upgrade of Windows 8) I refuse to have a Microsoft Account and stay away from the Microsoft Store. Logging into the Microsoft Store requires a Microsoft Account to be created which immediately hijacks/overwrite one's preferred login. This attempt at a variant of George Orwell's 1984 can be reversed/disabled. Besides, the offerings from the Microsoft Store are fairly childish anyway.

I have a background as fiscal investigator among other system things and these attempts to compromise our privacy annoy me intensely.

With Microsoft, "Oh for some privacy"

A bit like the cry, "Oh for an Irish King".

There never was an Irish King.

Cheers,

Mark. (Aunty Jack".

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
    Aunty Jack, Sep 22, 2015
  7. Aunty Jack

Termingamer2-JD

I think in the future there will be no such thing as privacy.
    1984, although it didn't all happen at the predicted time, is slowly becoming truer as each day passes. I predict the whole book will be the same as how a day will be by 2030 at the latest.

Termingamer2-JD, Sep 22, 2015
  8. Aunty Jack

eatup

A lot of ppl are under the misconception that Windows 7/8.1 are safer than Win10 in terms of privacy. That will no longer be the case. What they're currently doing is porting spying features from Windows 10 -> 7/8.1 by patching them via those hotfixes so as to spy on you just the same. The features will be permanent and non-removable when they change your system dll's and such at the kernel or near-kernel level.

Have to be careful about the updates you choose to install from now on on Win7/8.1....

eatup, Sep 22, 2015
  9. Aunty Jack

PJAmerica

Hence my above comment. I am fully aware of this.;)

PJAmerica, Sep 24, 2015
  10. Aunty Jack

Termingamer2-JD

I hope they don't do it to Vista either, though. Even though everyone seems to hate Vista, I don't:

[​IMG]

Pretty true really!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
    Termingamer2-JD, Sep 25, 2015
  11. Aunty Jack

eatup

Vista should be safe from Win10 spying ports. No point in trying to do that to an OS that's soon to be unsupported.

But... we have to remember, out of Vista/7/8.1, Vista is probably the most 1984-like OS of the three. It was created during a time when MSFT saw what Google did to their revenue models by profiling every user and tracking them! As a consequence, when Vista hit the market, we saw laptops go mainstream with fingerprint sensors and webcams for the first time. Also have to remember Vista is the OS that wouldn't let you shut down the computer (at least not on default settings), only put into hibernation! Why? They want to be able to turn it back on when you're sleeping, so all the info they've gathered about you could be sent back to them.

Of course, when they saw that Vista didn't gain any traction, they sort of downsized their ad-targetting department/team and concentrated on making a sequel OS that could out-compete Macs instead. And that is why 7/8.1 are slimmer in the Big Brother department. But now they've gone full circle again. Both Apple + Google are now major threats whereas before, it was only Macs.

Now, some really scary stuff... They're now able to track you based on your typing habits the same way everyone has different fingerprints. Betcha this will be one of the features MSFT would be dying to see exist in Win7/8.1 via those hotfixes...

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
    eatup, Sep 25, 2015
  12. Aunty Jack

Termingamer2-JD

1. Thank god.

2. New thing learnt. I thought Vista was the last OS to be properly safer, but I'm wrong as usual. Does it still spy on you?

3. Windows 7 to me looks like a tiny reskin of Vista with extra driver support and a few removals, and ribbon introduction, though.

4. I bet so. Google probably do this already.

Termingamer2-JD, Sep 26, 2015
  13. Aunty Jack

eatup

3. Exactly. Win7 is Vista re-skinned with less spyware, vhd native boot support, and a new taskbar.

When Win7 came out, laptops with fingerprint sensors were no longer trendy (but they made a comeback on Win8 laptops, want to guess why?). The reason being, MSFT was losing the mobile war. They wanted a slimmer OS that could run on all sorts of mobile devices, hence the need to scale back certain unecessary spying features from Vista that hogged a lot of resources.

Also notice Win7's taskbar featured large icons that were touch-friendly, not so much on Vista. Hence Win7 was the more resource-friendly, mobile-friendly, less spyware-ridden installment of the Vista/7/8.1 trilogy. They say you can tell a lot about the OS by the kind of hardware that appeared during its generation. When I see consumer hardware bundled with cheap fingerprint sensors (as if it's not enough to profile your facial features with the built in web-cam), I am likely to say no no to that gen's OS...

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
    eatup, Sep 26, 2015
Ask a Question