I crashed the XP laptop.

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by Yiknaa, May 4, 2015.

1. Yiknaa

Yiknaa

Just joined this afternoon, and from the title you will see I am in trouble.Have used a laptop for 5 years which runs Vista, but last year I was given an Acer 1640Z laptop which runs the XP system. I have been using the XP frequently and kept it up to date(basically for a relative). Three hours ago, whilst in the Acer e-management setting, etc. I clicked on the incorrect button, and started to wipe the XP. I switched off immediately, but on restart I could not get it to boot.
    I have a Macrium Reflect rescue CD/DVD for the XP, but on trying to boot from the CD/DVD I get the message on a black screen : Missing or Corrupt ;
    <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll and to reinstall that file.
    I have spent an hour on the internet looking for help, but it all seems very technical, and beyond me. Does anyone have any easy solution for me to follow ?
    I do not have the original disk(s) which would have been with the XP laptop when brand new.

Yiknaa, May 4, 2015
  2. Yiknaa

Elizabeth23

first if you want to boot from the rescue cd, you will have to go into the bios and set the cd to boot first.

there is no EASY fix for hal.dll, but the first step would be to run chkdsk, acer does not come with disks, instead there is a section in emanagement to burn rescue disks, this is not the same as reinstalling the os, to do that you would have to borrow an xp install cd from someone to reinstall the system, and if you started to wipe the drive it does not matter if you turned it off or not.

but you can try to burn a hirens boot cd and run checkdisk from that

instructions in the next reply.

Elizabeth23, May 5, 2015
  3. Yiknaa

Elizabeth23

reply 2

Courtesy of Jose Ibarra
    Make yourself a Hiren's Boot CD which you can download from here:

http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

The ZIP file is large, so the download will probably take a little while to complete bit it is worth it. Then unzip the download to extract the Hirens.BootCD.ISO file that will be used to create your new bootable CD.

Creating a bootable CD from a .ISO file is not the same as just copying the .ISO file to a blank CD. You have to use software that understands how to burn a .ISO file to a CD to create a bootable CD.

In the Hiren's ZIP file are the BurnToCD.cmd file that you can double click to launch it, but I have never used it and prefer to use ImgBurn.

If you need a free and easy CD burning software package, here is a popular free program:

http://www.imgburn.com/

When installing ImgBurn, DO NOT install anything from UniBlue or the Ask toolbar (never install the ASK toolbar for anything).

Here are some instructions for ImgBurn:

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=61

It would be a good idea to test your new bootable CD on a computer that is working.

You may need to adjust the computer BIOS settings to use the CD ROM drive as the first boot device instead of the hard disk.

These adjustments are made before Windows tries to load. If you miss it, you will have to reboot the system again.

When booting on the Hiren's CD you will see a menu of options. Choose the Mini XP option. Then it will appear that Windows is being loaded and you will be presented with a desktop that has the look and feel of the Windows Explorer interface you are already used to using.

One way to check the disk for errors is to open My Computer and right click your afflicted drive and choose Properties, Tools, Error-checking, Check Now... put a check mark in both the boxes and then Start.

Sometimes that doesn't work, so you can also click Start, Run and in the box enter:

cmd

Click OK to open a Command Prompt window and enter the following command (assuming XP is installed on your C drive)

chkdsk c: /r

This disk checking can take a long time (perhaps several to many hours) depending on the size of the volume, the amount of data on the volume and what the disk checking finds to do.
    Let chkdsk finish and correct any problems it might find.

Depending on the the speed of your system, the size of the volume, the amount of data on the volume and what chkdsk finds to do, it may take a long time for chkdsk with error correction to complete (several to many hours) or it may appear to be 'stuck'. Be patient. If the HDD light is still flashing, chkdsk is doing something so don't interrupt it. It will finish eventually one way or the other. Keep an eye on the percentage amount to be sure it is still making progress. It may even appear to go backwards sometimes.

You may have to run the chkdsk c: /r more than once.

Elizabeth23, May 5, 2015
  4. Yiknaa

Yiknaa

Elizabeth23, Thanks for your 2 replies. I will study them in detail and may give it a try,but being 70+ it looks like it may be too technical for me.
    After attempting to restart/boot after the crash - the 1st message I got (on a full black screen) was " NTLDR missing" ; then on a second attempt with a rescue disk using Macrium Reflect, the message " file missing or corrupt <Windows>root\system32\hal.dll" showed up.
    I had been considering 'converting' the Acer to Vista, since I still have the disks which came with my Vista laptop (Dell Inspiron), but have been informed that the Dell disks would not work with the Acer laptop.

Yiknaa, May 5, 2015
  5. Yiknaa

Elizabeth23

no they won't, an OEM disk has coding that tags it to a specific motherboard.

=====

your best bet then would to be take it to a shop and let them reinstall the os for you.

Elizabeth23, May 5, 2015
  6. Yiknaa

Yiknaa

Elizabeth23, Thanks again. I think your suggested course of action is a litle bit too deep for me. I am a relative novice with computers. Here in the UK there is a magazine ComputerActive, and their issue No446 April, 2015 has an article re the use of Lazesoft Recovery Suite for when a computer crashes.
    I have downloaded it to a DVD, and am getting the Acer laptop to boot from that. At the moment I am still finding my way around its recovery menus. Hopefully I might just be able to rectify matters.

As regards Windows XP there are boxed editions for sale on ebay UK. Some are shown as boxed, unopened, with licence key, etc. Purchasing one of those would it be a simple and easy procedure for me to reinstall XP on the Acer ?

Yiknaa, May 6, 2015
  7. Yiknaa

Elizabeth23

reinstall is a simple procedure, but be careful of anything you buy on ebay, and you do not want to buy an OEM disk on ebay, You want a microsoft disc, but I would be leery of anything you buy online.

==========

some things to read on reinstalling, and note that microsoft updates will not work without service pack 3 so you will have to download and install before going to updates, and only put in about 50 updates at a time so that you do not overload the pc:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/instxpclean1.htm
    With pictures of clean install
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-xp/help/setup/install-windows-xp
    http://www.windowsxphome.windowsreinstall.com/sp2installxpcdoldhdd/indexfullpage.htm
    http://www.blackviper.com/os-install-guides/windows-xp-professional-install-guide/
    http://tweakhound.com/xp/installxp/installXP1.htm
    Clean installs of XP sites
    ================

if you have a recovery disk look for a way to run checkdisk, I have not used that suite before so I do not know what is on it.

Elizabeth23, May 6, 2015
  8. Yiknaa

Yiknaa

Elizabeth23, Thanks for your latest reply. I will have a look at the links which you have shown. I am going to have another look at Lazesoft Recovery Suite when I have an hour or two spare.

Yiknaa, May 6, 2015
  9. Yiknaa

Elizabeth23

okay will check back

Elizabeth23, May 6, 2015
  10. Yiknaa

Yiknaa

Elizabeth23, As yet I have not used Lazesoft Recovery fully. I have been informed of a way to set the Acer laptop to its factory settings, but should I do that first, then to my logic that would set the laptop as though I had just bought it.
    Would it make sense, therefore, to use Lazesoft, recover files etc, hopefully load them to a memory stick, or CD/DVD, THEN set the laptop to its factory settings ? After that could I then 'add' the recovered files ?

Also, I believe I would have to update all Microsofts updates and security updates, which I believe will run to dozens !!!

Yiknaa, May 8, 2015
  11. Yiknaa

Elizabeth23

If you can see your drive with lazesoft then you can retrieve your data to a flash drive, it can save data only not programs, those will have to be downloaded or installed with a cd.

most acers had a section for you to make a recovery cd, not restore to factory settings

http://www.manualagent.com/acer/aspire-1640z/owners-manual/page-9

a link to your manual above says that you should have made a recovery disk, do not know if you can do that now, let me know if they have a solution for you at the acer forum where you posted also:

http://community.acer.com/t5/Notebooks-Netbooks/Acer-1640Z-crashed-XP-help-to-restore/m-p/359982

I will follow that thread. :)

Elizabeth23, May 8, 2015
  12. Yiknaa

Yiknaa

Elizabeth23, I still have not looked at your links (re Microsoft, etc). However, I have been to the Youtube link, and noted everything down correctly.
    ie. F2>Main- D2D recovery enabled>F10 to save and exit. Selected 'Yes' But then when following the next step : Press/hold Alt+F10 repeatedly the e-recovery program did not appear. I tried the procedure several times without success.
    I will have a look at your 5-6 links tomorrow, and see if any of those will help.

I have been using Lazesoft this evening, and although making a bit progress I have not been successful with that either.

Yiknaa, May 10, 2015
  13. Yiknaa

Elizabeth23

since you were in e management when the problem occurred you might have lost access to that or wiped it out.

so you can only use the lazersoft to see if you can access your disk, if you cannot access your disk then you will only be able to do a clean install of the os.

Elizabeth23, May 11, 2015
  14. Yiknaa

Yiknaa

Elizabeth23, I have had partial success - having removed the black screen, etc. I used a rescue disk I made last year and managed to get back into Acer e-Recovery Management. From e-Recovery I did a factory reset; and also a backup from an Acer backup which I made when the XP was working correctly. I let those programs run and followed the prompts, even though it took almost 1 hour, and I did not try to cut things short.

Having partially succeeded, there is one more problem which I cannot fathom out. Now when I boot up the Windows XP screen appears for 1-2 seconds, disappears, then it is back into the Acer e-Recovery Management, as though it wants me to go through a re-install yet again Switch off, - reboot,- Windows screen,- then back into e-Recovery Management each time..

Any suggestions or cure as to how to get out of that 'loop' ?

Yiknaa, May 11, 2015
  15. Yiknaa

Elizabeth23

I would let it set it back to factory then, have you read your manual?? I gave you a link to your manual in my previous reply.

Elizabeth23, May 12, 2015
  16. Yiknaa

Yiknaa

Elizabeth23, Thanks for that. Re your link to the manual, I tried that several times but could not access the web page. Bit short of time today, so I will try again tomorrow.

Yiknaa, May 12, 2015
  17. Yiknaa

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, May 12, 2015
  18. Yiknaa

Yiknaa

Elizabeth23, Thank you very much for your help and guidance. I settled down this evening to have a look at your links. Prior to that I was back into the Acer e-restore, and it went on and on. After 6 uses, it just seemed to be doing the same thing. I put in the rescue disk which I had made last year, and here we are, following the guidance after loading the disk, everything is back to normal. Aren't computers wonderful things ? I have been exploring XP yet again. All photos, docs. etc have been wiped, but I have those on a USB stick, and or CD/DVD - from my Vista laptop, so I can upload them again.
    The next step will be to upload programs which I had one here.
    Thanks very much for your help. I was considering getting a cheap flight to Florida, and landing on your doorstep with this laptop for expert help, but that is no longer necessary.:D
    Many thanks. Fred.

Yiknaa, May 13, 2015
  19. Yiknaa

Elizabeth23

great at least now you know how to restore, now once you have all your programs installed and every update installed , you would do well to make an image of your system on another drive and then should something happen you can just install the image. :)

that was good work on your part, congratulations! :)

Elizabeth23, May 14, 2015
  20. Yiknaa

Yiknaa

Elizabeth23, Thanks for that, and I follow the point you are making. I use Macrium Reflect with an external hard drive for backups on the Vista, after problems with Windows Restore/Backup. And on checking the rescue disk I used for the XP, I found that I had used Macrium Reflect to make a backup of the XP sometime last year. Why it did not work a few days ago, when I tried it - probably due to my inexperience.
    Regards,
    Fred.

Yiknaa, May 14, 2015
Ask a Question