Howto: Firefox MP4 for XP and multi profiles

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by Lockherup, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Lockherup

Lockherup

If you run XP and firefox, the best thing to do is run 2 versions. You can achieve this by running it with -P "profilename" command. You run the old version like 20-25 for sites you're familiar and use often like forums, craigslist etc. and its quite fast. Then run 47-52 for newer stuff like bitchute and sites that play MP4 or use newer tech. To start profile manger run firefox -p and then -P once profile name is setup. Setup 2 different profiles one for 25 and one for 52 and on the desktop refernce the shortcut with the extra paramters. If you ever run firefox again without the -P it will always overwrite and delete your old stuff.

If you try this save your bookmarks first twice because the newer fox and older ones use different formats.

I use the following commands, f2 is my original profile and fiftytwo is my 2nd in a different folder.

"C:\Program Files\Firefox25\firefox.exe" -P "f2"
    "C:\Program Files\Firefox52\firefox.exe" -P "FiftyTWO"

With 52 you can play MP4 in the browser. This is unofficial but I can confirm it works.

Download the primetime plugin http://sdfox7.com/xp/sp3/EOL/primetime_gmp_win_x86_gmc_40673.zip
    In the firefox profiles folder create a folder named gmp-eme-adobe and in there create a folder named 17, unzip the 3 files to 17 folder.

Add the following to firefox about:config and it should load on restart.

media.gmp-eme-adobe.enabled (boolean; true)
    media.gmp-eme-adobe.forceSupported (boolean; true)
    media.gmp-eme-adobe.forcevisible (boolean; true)
    media.gmp-eme-adobe.visible (boolean; true)
    media.gmp-eme-adobe.version (string, 17)
    media.gmp.decoder.enabled (boolean; true)
    media.eme.enabled (boolean; true)

I run a very stripped down firefox 25 for youtube with adblock and noscript and it plays vids great even on this old laptop. For the newer vids that say can't play or bitchute I will use 52 and it plays them fine.

Lockherup, Aug 19, 2018
    Jeyneko likes this.
  2. Lockherup

cornemuse

I do this:
    firefox.jpg
    All three are Firefox Portable versions.

I use 29 mostly. I copied the "profile' folder from 29 & replaced with that file in both 42 & 52. All data 'p/w's' links bookmarks settings etc are located here in 'profiles'.
    When installing:
    ff-29-42-52.jpg
    Firefox portable inatalls as 'FirefoxPortable'. rename to ff 29 first, install ff42, rename install 52, rename. in each, create firefox.exe shortcut & rename:
    ffp3.jpg

Make sense???

-c-

cornemuse, Aug 19, 2018
  3. Lockherup

wyxchari

Firefox has died. Use Mypal which will continue to be updated indefinitely.

wyxchari, Aug 26, 2018
    WindowsXPforever likes this.
  4. Lockherup

WindowsXPforever

Only the support,but i higly recommend to use my pal to be safer.:)

WindowsXPforever, Aug 26, 2018
  5. Lockherup

Lockherup

It's not bad

if it supports HOSTS file, Adblock and noscript I would use it. It doesn't play bitchute out of the box but at least shows the video screen which is better than firefox of similar version.

Why don't you distribute a handful of XPI with it that the users can install, and try to make bitchute work. When I click on this everything comes up but the video just spins, so far I can only get FF47+ to get it to play, with great work.

https://www.bitchute.com/video/muc7cWIOx20/

Lockherup, Aug 26, 2018
  6. Lockherup

wyxchari

Mypal plays that video well.

Adblock Latitude
    Similary NoScript

wyxchari, Aug 26, 2018
  7. Lockherup

Elizabeth23

@Lockherup: I am on firefox 52.9.0 ESR and I can play that video fine. I have uBlock origin, flash player, netvideohunter, OpenH264, and Primetime Content Decryption Module, as addons and extensions, :)

Elizabeth23, Aug 26, 2018
  8. Lockherup

Lockherup

So can I but we are talking about mypal ..

Lockherup, Aug 26, 2018
  9. Lockherup

Lockherup

What about HOSTS. Add ons are nice but it seems to be ignoring my hosts file. If you made those two things work, hosts and mp4 it would be ahead of the competetion as far as XP goes.

Lockherup, Aug 26, 2018
  10. Lockherup

wyxchari

What do you mean by the host file? This c: \ windows \ system32 \ drivers \ etc \ hosts? I've always used it for some locks in Firefox and with Mypal it's still working.

About the mp4 I do not understand what it means. I put what it shows in https://www.youtube.com/html5
    [​IMG]

For Twitter videos, do not activate anything from media.gmp-eme-adobe.forcevisible but install LAVFilters 0.70.2 x86 from https://github.com/Nevcairiel/LAVFilters/releases

The difference that matters is that Mypal loads pages very fast and Firefox is a potato. Test it.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
    wyxchari, Aug 27, 2018
  11. Lockherup

Lockherup

HOSTS is working after I flushed the dns cache.

MP4 are videos, it would be what H.264 is for .. But I can't get that going. I have exclamation marks for H.264, MSIE, and VP9 .. There is probably something I'm missing in about:config.

Lockherup, Aug 27, 2018
  12. Lockherup

Lockherup

I looked over all the adobe.eme settings and they are ok but H.264 still doesn't work .. is there anything I'm missing to make this last feature work.

Attached Files:

• mypl.jpg
      mypl.jpg
      File size:
      38.8 KB
      Views:
    Lockherup, Aug 27, 2018
  13. Lockherup

Lockherup

I think I see the problem from the screenshots. I have mypal 27 or something like that and you appear to have the newer style window which I found to ship with FF37 or later. So its possible I just can't play them period. I do like the browser anyway, it would be nice if I can figure this thing out on how to get checkmarks on all the video features. I do have them all checked in FF52 but not mypal 27 and can't get the adobe plugin to show up in add-ons.

Lockherup, Aug 27, 2018
  14. Lockherup

WindowsXPforever

I have no problems playing youtube videos, at all

WindowsXPforever, Aug 27, 2018
  15. Lockherup

Lockherup

Youtube has their own software and they play on anything even firefox 3. We are talking about newer style video sites that deliver mp4 in the browser, such as bitchute, d-tube etc.. Generally they play on 47-52 or later only.

Lockherup, Aug 27, 2018
  16. Lockherup

Lockherup

Lockherup, Aug 27, 2018
  17. Lockherup

Elizabeth23

https://www.bitchute.com/video/WdDhM1pQGJE/

I see this video fine in mypal release 27.9.4

only extension so far is ABPrime as I cannot get uBlock origin to install or netvideohunter, the plugins so far are the ones that came with the install.

the youtube test page shows all blue except for MSE & WebM VP9, which is red and I do not know what this is, I have all plugins set to ask to activate.

Elizabeth23, Aug 27, 2018
  18. Lockherup

Lockherup

How did you get Adobe to install ? I tried using the same method as firefox and it doesn't show up in add ons and my H264 is not working. This is obviously where the problem is as it plays youtube fine just not the newer h264.

Lockherup, Aug 27, 2018
  19. Lockherup

Elizabeth23

in the latest version of my pal it came preinstalled with the actually latest version for firefox npapi

you can get the latest version HERE as it does not automatically update

Elizabeth23, Aug 27, 2018
  20. Lockherup

Lockherup

Well thanks but its still the same for me.. I actually did have the latest 27.9.4 but the adobe plugin doesn't show no matter what I try.

Lockherup, Aug 27, 2018
Ask a Question