How to wipe XP hard drive and reinstall Windows OS

Discussion in 'Windows XP Installation and Setup' started by helpme8675, Mar 22, 2019.

1. helpme8675

helpme8675

1. Ok, the title says most, but I have a slight situation. The monitor we have is not the original. When we replaced it, we installed the replacement driver. Will that driver be reinstalled automatically with a restore, or will I have a blank screen when the system reboots on a wiped hard drive? So, how is this done? Thanks!
    2. One more thing as I am thinking about it, there were some service packs and patches that were issued by Windows and installed on there. Do those become incorporated into the operating system so they wouldn't be removed with a hard drive wipe? It is a Dell 8200 from 2000...

helpme8675, Mar 22, 2019
  2. helpme8675

RyzenMaster

If you wipe the HDD, you will for sure delete the service packs. There may be a bios setting to wipe the HDD, but the easiest way to format the HDD and reinstall windows, would be to plug the hdd in a modern pc, You could just format the hdd and put it back in the dell. https://www.ebay.com/i/264118774729?chn=ps You could buy this and write it to a disc and put it into the dell and boot from it to reinstall os. LMK if you need any more explanation

RyzenMaster, Mar 24, 2019
  3. helpme8675

PAL in Thailand

A similar question, but slightly different! This thread proposes to wipe the whole HDD, I would like to wipe ONLY Drive C: and maintain the original Drive C:'s space as it is. Wiping will, as I gather, wipe everything of the Drive C:, so it may be necessary to re-format it in the NTFS format, right? I have attached a view of my HDD for your convenience in replying. Look forward to hearing from you.

N.B. I have already copied the contents of Drive C: over to an external HDD.

Attached Files:

PAL in Thailand, Aug 11, 2019
  4. helpme8675

Elizabeth23

you will have to google for a program that will wipe partitions and not the entire drive

Elizabeth23, Aug 12, 2019
  5. helpme8675

Computer semi-expert

Computer semi-expert, Aug 12, 2019
    Elizabeth23 likes this.
Ask a Question