How to uninstall remote desktop in XP Pro?

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by trimis, Sep 14, 2014.

1. trimis

trimis

Found this info on the topic:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282041

but the main part was too cryptic for me to grasp:

"To remove the Mstscax.dll file, you have to perform a complete removal of Remote Desktop in Microsoft Management Console (MMC). When you uninstall Remote Desktop this way, you will receive a prompt to confirm that you want to delete this file."

Google has failed to provide any elaboration or useable 'how-to' on this. Can anyone decrypt the above, and tell me how to do this?

trimis, Sep 14, 2014
  2. trimis

Elizabeth23

To disable Remote Desktop

1.Click System in Control Panel.

2.On the Remote tab, clear the Allow users to connect remotely to your computer check box, and then click OK.

Note You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group to disable the Remote Desktop feature.

To open a Control Panel item, click Start, click Control Panel, and then click the appropriate icon.
    ============
    remove remote desktop

Click on the "Start" button and then open the "Control Panel."

Double-click on "Add or Remove Programs" and then click on the "Show Windows Updates" check box.

Click on the "KB925876" entry and click "Remove."

Restart your computer and Remote Desktop is gone.
    ==============

did you read most of the topics at the below link:

https://www.google.com/#q=uninstall+remote+desktop+xp

============

your link specifically says not to worry about leaving those files in system 32.

Elizabeth23, Sep 15, 2014
  3. trimis

trimis

This is true:

Leaving this file in the System32 folder does not cause any negative effects.

...but I can think of no good reason to leave it behind if a way exists to be rid of it,and there seems to be:

To remove the Mstscax.dll file, you have to perform a complete removal of Remote Desktop in Microsoft Management Console (MMC). When you uninstall Remote Desktop this way, you will receive a prompt to confirm that you want to delete this file.

Why would I not want to do a complete removal using MMC, and nuke the Mstscax.dll too? The only thing stopping me is not knowing how.

Yes I read the link:
    https://www.google.com/#q=uninstall+remote+desktop+xp
    for the first couple pages. You quote the first citation:
    http://www.ehow.com/how_5173082_remove-remote-desktop-windows-xp.html
    The next one goes against it:

Remove/Uninstall Remote Desktop
    How do I remove/uninstall Remote Desktop in Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3?

(There's no KB925876 entry in Add/Remove Programs even with Show Updates checked and there's no C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB925876$ folder and installing the package from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925876 doesn't work because the installer won't install since it detects a service pack higher than SP2... these are the known fixes I've already tried).

There is conflicting info throughout (at least the couple of pages I looked through). Anyway, all I'm interested in is exactly how to "perform a complete removal of Remote Desktop in Microsoft Management Console (MMC)."

trimis, Sep 26, 2014
  4. trimis

Elizabeth23

Mstscax.dll, this is needed for Fast user Switching Capability, so you do not want to delete this file, if you hover over this file, info is revealed that points to terminal services, go to services and bring up properties and go to the dependency tab, this will show what depends on this service and what this service depends on.

https://support2.microsoft.com/kb/294855?wa=wsignin1.0

link above is description of fast user switching capabliliy.

==================

from here

=========
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/microsoft_management_console.htm

how to use the mmc

Elizabeth23, Sep 27, 2014
  5. trimis

trimis

Fast User Switching is on the 'jettison list', so if nuking the Mstscax.dll will take it out, I would consider that a 'icing on the cake' scenario. There will only be me on this PC, and I only need one administrator account and one limited account, and fast switching between the two is not needed. I have not been able to find any dependency requiring Fast User Switching that I need (most are on my to-nuke list), so unless you know of something absolutely vital that requires it, I really do want to delete Mstscax.dll. BlackViper advocates disabling Fast User Switching:

http://www.blackviper.com/windows-services/fast-user-switching-compatibility/

...but I am looking to be rid of junk I do not need, and so a 'disable' is only acceptable in the event of an item that I cannot eliminate for some reason.

trimis, Oct 5, 2014
  6. trimis

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Oct 6, 2014
  7. trimis

koolx

Hi Liz, how are you?.. So, what is the solution to removing the Remote Desktop after all?

koolx, Oct 19, 2014
  8. trimis

Elizabeth23

in my first reply to this question, there is the procedure to remove remote desktop, the op just wanted to remove that one file.

I do not have remote desktop on my pc, and have disabled or removed any thing dealing with remote anything.

Elizabeth23, Oct 20, 2014
  9. trimis

koolx

Hi, Liz. I read your 1st reply to the OP, but I couldn't find the "KB925876" entry in Control Panel.

koolx, Oct 20, 2014
  10. trimis

Elizabeth23

then you do not have remote desktop, just delete the entries in the start menu, and in windows firewall (if you use it), make sure there are no checkmarks in the exceptions
    tab for remote assistance and desktop

Elizabeth23, Oct 20, 2014
  11. trimis

koolx

Thanks Liz!!!!

koolx, Oct 21, 2014
  12. trimis

Elizabeth23

no problemo :)

Elizabeth23, Oct 21, 2014
  13. trimis

trimis

Thanks for the links. So will File Assassin get rid of both remote desktop and Mstscax.dll? Is this how you got free Remote Desktop? I would love to hear how you "removed any thing dealing with remote anything" and what all exactly you were able to uninstall. I am still researching just what remote junk I can nuke without damage to the OS. Sounds like we have similar goals in this case.

trimis, Nov 30, 2014
  14. trimis

Elizabeth23

At this time, I cannot recall exactly what I removed as it has been awhile since I did this.

I do use file assasin and I also have take ownership added to my right click context menu.

what you can do is create a system restore point, then delete any thing dealing with remote, if you mess something up you can restore to the point before this, or you can copy each file you wish to delete to a flash drive in case you want to put it back.

Elizabeth23, Dec 1, 2014
Ask a Question