how to register xp

Discussion in 'Windows XP Installation and Setup' started by comp, Dec 1, 2014.

1. comp

comp

I had a virus and had to reformat my machine. Before that I took off everything and put it onto an external drive which I suppose still contains the virus.
    I have a few different drives on the machine having split it up. I installed XP over again.
    I am scared to activate it because what happens if the virus comes back when I copy certain files from the external drive which I need. And then wont be allowed to activate it again.
    I know that I can install it every thirty days.
    My question is this.
    If I have let us say five local disks A B C D E F.
    I put windows on two of them. A B
    I activate A.
    Using B, I copy A to C. This will usually not work saying Hal is missing although it is there.
    If I go now to re install. They will give a list of windows which are present.
    In other words A B C and ask if I want to repair them.
    If I say I want to repair C. When it is repaired will it still need to be activated. Because when they repair an already activated windows they dont require re-activation.

comp, Dec 1, 2014
  2. comp

Elizabeth23

First when you install xp it will be installed as c drive.

If you have the pc set to not allow autorun, then when you plug your flash drive in it will not open until you open it, but before you open it you can scan it with your antivirus, I have avast with a right click scan option in the context menu. This way if there is a virus on the flash drive, then it can be quarantined and the flash drive made safe, whatever files are quarantined, you will have to either recopy or find some way to clean them.

Activation can be done now and again if you reinstall xp again, I have installed several times to my same pc. It is only volume licensing that has a limit to the number of times it may be activated.

As a further note you can only repair xp with a cd that has the same service pack as what the pc is at at the time of the repair.

Elizabeth23, Dec 2, 2014
  3. comp

comp

I have in the meantime been doing things. I have also installed Avast. I see you have also replied to my other post which is really about the same thing.
    Let me say first that the program I have to use is a kind of library disk which contains 100 thousand books on a tg drive.
    It is from a foreign country and cost a small fortune. There is no way I can now replace it or buy another one. So I have to make do with the best I can.
    I ought to copy it and then try to anti virus it. I cannot anti virus it at the moment because I am scared I will lost information or even the program on it. Since these books have all been made 'smaller ' with a special program on it with a search engine.
    One installs the program onto the computer which causes the virus. Surprisingly they dont use the register so once you have got past installation with their number you can copy it anywhere which is what I have done onto a usb card.
    I used the avast and somehow 'cleaned' the installation program. It is easy to tell by checking if the hidden files are visible.
    I reformatted one drive and added avast and the ready installation program and 'pulled' out a book and copied it to a file to be used later with acrobat. The program only allowed you to print books but not copy them so I used cute which works as long as you change it to cute and not cutepdf.
    So far so good.
    I could activate it but I am scared the virus will rear its head again.

So I have formatted another drive and intend to use that with acrobat.
    I also have another drive which I intend to be used for my other internet uses.

So I am really using three drives. I have copied my xp disks onto the computer and install it from there much quicker and easier than changing disks. So I really use the same ones all the time.

So at the moment it would mean installing every 30 days both for the xp and the avast which I suppose even if you pay once you format you lose and cant for one price use on two drives.
    That works out about three hours a month.

Thank you very much for your replies and help. And if there is any simpler way I would be very interested.
    BTW how do you set it not to allow autorun.

comp, Dec 2, 2014
  4. comp

Elizabeth23

http://www.instructables.com/id/Disable-autoplay-in-USB-and-CD-Drive-in-Windows-XP/

disabling autorun.

==

if you have the paid avast, and install on one drive, you can use it to scan other drives, you would not need to install on other drives, if you have a drive that you want to install into the computer to boot off of then you could install avast again, it is the same pc, therefore you should be able to install and activate.

you could verify this by asking in the avast forums.

==

Once a drive has been formatted with a full format when installing xp there is no virus, a full format cleans all the disk.

if you scan the flash drive before opening it, and it is clean then there will be no virus on the flash drive unless you take it to another infected machine and then fail to scan before opening drive on your pc. I always scan a flash drive that has been inserted into another pc.

If any files are quarantined you will be able to see them in avast's quarantine chest, if they are pertinent files to your program, then you could have them scanned at virus total, it will scan the file and give you much info:

https://www.virustotal.com/

click on choose file and then use the drop down menu to find the file and then it will be scanned, be patient.

======

When you install xp you have 30 days to activate, but once activated you do not need to activate again, I am not quite clear on why you believe that you have to activate every 30 days.

Elizabeth23, Dec 2, 2014
  5. comp

comp

Thanks again.
    I dont have the paid avast I only installed it yesterday.
    I understand one can use it once it is installed on all drives and I have already done so.
    But if I have different XP windows installed on all drives and I can start the computer from any drive would the avast program still work.
    Can one also get the avast program offline like the chrome. It is much easier and quicker than getting it everytime on line.
    If one cant do this then one can only activate every 30 days or pay for every single windows and avast isnt cheap.
    The same is with the operating system. I dont think Microsoft allow you to have more than one on the system unless you pay extra. Or on more than one drive.
    They will not allow you to activate often.
    Therefore in my circumstances when I have no choice that is all I can do.
    I am sure what I have is a virus. Since at first I didnt realise it until my machine stopped altogether. Even if I could go back to the vendor of the disk I bought I couldnt really prove it. But I am sure that I was sold it with a virus since I have never put anything on this disk only taken books off it. It has all the books ever printed on this subject over 500 years I think scanned into it taken from all libraries in the world. That is why they charge a fortune for it. They also have many ocd and a search engine.
    It seems the avast can only stop this virus coming on but cannot take it off.
    Anyway taking off is not really an option since that could mean the whole program.
    Thanks again and will keep to this thread for now.

comp, Dec 2, 2014
  6. comp

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Dec 2, 2014
  7. comp

comp

I now cant use my mobile internet when avast is on this drive. So I am using another drive to write this which does not have avast installed.
    I notice in the avast forums that there are many problems with it. Chrome blocks me from installing the avast you mention. Although there are so many there and that site isnt very clear which is the stand alone one.

comp, Dec 2, 2014
  8. comp

Elizabeth23

9. comp

comp

Thank you very, very much for the avast link. I have downloaded it and it takes only seconds to install. One does not need to go to the web to activate it. I have installed it on a number of drives.
    My mobile net now works with avast. I did a reformat on that drive again and now it works.

comp, Dec 3, 2014
  10. comp

Elizabeth23

great, what are the issues now, are there any??

Elizabeth23, Dec 3, 2014
  11. comp

comp

Well I hope I dont have any more. I think I have worked round my present issues with your help for which I am really thankful for.
    I would really like to reward you with one of my books. I have written quite a few gaming books like sudoku and kakuro for quite a few large publishing houses like Carlton and Mammoth Robinson and a few novel ones on my own.
    I am a programmer and the whole book gets 'written' with one touch on the screen.

I will know where to come if I have more problems. This is really the first time and they are not of my making. At the end of the month when activation is necessary I will then have to decide what to do.
    I have only now got avast and although I have used it for 'checking' files I am not sure how the registration works.

comp, Dec 3, 2014
  12. comp

comp

Well I hope I dont have any more. I think I have worked round my present issues with your help for which I am really thankful for.
    I would really like to reward you with one of my books. I have written quite a few gaming books like sudoku and kakuro for quite a few large publishing houses like Carlton and Mammoth Robinson and a few novel ones on my own.
    I am a programmer and the whole book gets 'written' with one touch on the screen.

I will know where to come if I have more problems. This is really the first time and they are not of my making. At the end of the month when activation is necessary I will then have to decide what to do.
    I have only now got avast and although I have used it for 'checking' files I am not sure how the registration works.

comp, Dec 3, 2014
  13. comp

Elizabeth23

I do not have avast registered, it is the free version, after 30 days you will be asked if you want to buy, and you just click on NO, I will just use the free version.

Elizabeth23, Dec 4, 2014
  14. comp

comp

Some more things which may be of interest.

Recycler sometimes has files with very long numbers which are hard to get rid of. I am not sure if they only come from a virus.
    Use the dos RD command with /s

How I automatically typeset my puzzle books.

Since every page in a kakuro or sudoku book is the same only different numbers one makes a 'template' in word using textboxes on top of each other for the grid and make an exe file. This template should have all numbers filled in.

Then one uses the dos word 4 program. It is the only program I know that will accept an exe file. This program can cut and chop it up. One can highlight text downwords and delete as many 'columns' as one likes using the f6 command. Usually one can only delete rows.

Then one 'cuts' the exe file into three parts. The middle part will be the one with the numbers. One can then use a programming language like pascal modula2 or c to change those numbers.

Once these numbers have been changed one 'sticks' the program together again using the dos command to join files together. Now one has a new printed puzzle in an exe format. This can be changed to PDF to be used in adobe which is better at making pages.
    One must make sure that the file size stays the same. Using a dos bat program this can all be done automatically.

comp, Dec 4, 2014
  15. comp

comp

For those following my "woes'.

I have installed windows on many of my drives. I now have to format and clean all of them and install windows again. To make things quicker I copied the xp disk on my hard drive and install it from there.
    This doesnt work with the C drive. It wont format the C drive although it will install but I need it to format as well. The avast says there are viruses on it.
    Also if I have taken windows off the C drive it wont install windows anywhere else while the C drive doesnt have windows on it.
    So one has to use the xp disk which takes a long time and format the C drive and then install windows on it.
    One is not yet finished because it will now only start on the C drive and not on the others. So one has to get into the boot.ini and tell it that there are others drives as well.
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS=" c1 " /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)\WINDOWS=" eye I" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS=" M " /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS=" G " /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS=" d1" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="f3" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(5)\WINDOWS5="J5" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(3)\WINDOWS="e1" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

So this is what it looks like at the moment. I havent yet had time to do all drives yet. So they are not all working.

comp, Dec 4, 2014
Ask a Question