How to recover System Restore which was shut down by CONFIG

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by eijay, Mar 9, 2023.

1. eijay

eijay

On 26.1.23 I double-clicked on C:\WINDOWS\CONFIGURE.BAT in relation to another matter. The unintended result was that System Restore has been shut down. I have tried everything to get it back but with no success. In the attached file there is the record taken directly from the CONFIGURE.BAT history, with a few added notes from me. I am trying to reinstall from cds, but no success so far. My PC is running windows xp home.

Attached Files:

eijay, Mar 9, 2023
  2. eijay

ClippyBeer

Is your PC booting XP with System Restore disabled or is it un-bootable? If it is unbootable what do you see on the screen?

ClippyBeer, Mar 9, 2023
  3. eijay

eijay

Until this week I have had no problem booting in to xp. Now I need to bypass the flashing cursor left hand top of screen. In addition, the PC has shut down a number of times over the past few days. Maybe there is some connection to the SR issue?

eijay, Mar 9, 2023
  4. eijay

TMTGTR

May I ask what the matter you were addressing is/was?

TMTGTR, Mar 10, 2023
  5. eijay

eijay

I was trying to eradicate an annoying timeglass delay on some unzipped files. The latest is that System Restore has been RESTORED. It suddenly reappeared under System today, and I can access it again. It may be, as with the parable of the unjust judge, my dear old xp could not withstand the constant pressure I was putting on it to return SR. Strangely the problems with startup & shutdown (see above) also seem to now be eliminated (but who knows what tomorrow may bring with xp?). Thanks to those who have offered advice or asked questions.

eijay, Mar 14, 2023
  6. eijay

TMTGTR

That's great!

TMTGTR, Mar 14, 2023
Ask a Question