How to place files from the Linux host OS to Windows XP guest OS if the Vmware tools and the shared

Hello to everyone.

I've just installed Windows XP 64 bit on VMware Workstation vers. 17.5.1. I would like to install the vmware tools,but I don't know how to do it. Infact,VMware does not install it automatically,I don't know why, and I can't do it manually,because the option is greyed out. I've added a shared folder chosen from the host OS (Ubuntu 23.10). I've shared the / and I've mapped this folder as a Windows network drive,but I don't see it within the Windows XP VM. Taking also in consideration that I can't use IE in Windows XP because it is very old,I don't know how to place the files I need within the VM,since I can't download anything and I can't copy and paste anything from Linux to the Windows XP guest OS.

I would think you'd want to share a specific folder like User or Downloads instead of Root / since Windows can't open the "unsearchable" folders like Mnt
(Forgive my Linux ignorance, but this is the biggest stumbling block that has always prevented me from using it more often: I can never remember in what folders Linux puts everything. On Windows I can access every folder on my C:\ drive and that's the way I like it!)

You can use a USB drive for transfer, or setup an HTTP or FTP server and use a client or browser. If you have trouble figuring that stuff out, I imagine you could use a remote desktop program like AnyDesk.com and share files with that.

Also don't forget you can make your own .iso cd images to share things one-way host-to-guest, or use .flp floppy images to share bidirectionally, obviously less convenient than a network setup.

Back