How to install windows from VHD onto an IVY Bridge laptop with a sata SSD

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by RyzenMaster, Mar 24, 2019.

1. RyzenMaster

RyzenMaster

Hello, I am new here! I have made a similar thread at Toms Hardware and gotten no response, so I hope you can help! https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/how-to-transfer-virtual-machine-to-sata-ssd.3464258/
    I haven't used a computer with Windows XP for a while, and I would like to use it again for some old games and nostalgia. My main computer has an AMD Ryzen CPU with a GTX 1050 so I am aware Windows XP is not going to work other than through VMware, as neither my CPU or GPU are supported by Windows XP.

I have a Toshiba Satellite L55-A5284 Laptop purchased August of 2013 with the following specs:
    Intel® Core™ i5-3337U Processor. This is a Hyperthreaded Dual core that only turbos to a puny max of 2.7ghz
    Intel® HD Graphics 4000 These have XP drivers available.
    12gb 1600mhz DDR3 ram. This is in a 4+8gb configuration running in dual channel. I am aware XP 32-bit only allows for 3.5gb to be used
    SATA Optical Drive
    750gb 5400rpm SATA2 HDD, upgraded to a 240gb Kingston SA400 SSD.

I really want to install Windows XP on the laptop without any other operating system or VirtualBox/VMware needed. This laptop has some drivers for Windows XP: Intel has XP 32-bit drivers for the Igpu, Toshiba has wifi card drivers for XP 32bit, and this site has other drivers including AHCI https://www.driverscape.com/manufacturers/toshiba/laptops-desktops/satellite-l55-a/44902. The Ivy Bridge I5 should be supported by Windows XP with the correct drivers, however, I am having a problem with Windows XP.

I don't want to spend any money on this project so I am going with a trial version of Windows XP, at least until I confirm everything works. Since Microsoft no longer has an ISO file available for download (and I'm not a pirate), I am using this method to extract a virtual hard drive of Windows XP from XP mode: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/download-windows-xp-for-free-and-legally-straight-from-microsoft-si/ This leaves me with a trial copy of Windows XP 32-bit SP3 in .VHD form with a lot of updates, if not all. I have taken the VHD, mounted it as a physical E drive, and I can boot from it on my main pc using VMware, with no issues at all. I then used the free version EaseUS ToDo Backup to clone the mounted VHD to my SATA SSD. I put the SSD in my Ivy Bridge L55 laptop as the sole drive, I didn't get anywhere. After changing a lot of bios settings regarding compatibility with SATA modes and secure boot, I get a bit further. I now have the following settings in bios:
    SATA Interface setting: Performance (not changed)
    Internal USB3 Controller: Enabled
    Boot speed: Normal (no longer fast boot)
    USB Legacy Emulation: Enabled
    Built-in LAN: Disabled
    Webcam: Disabled
    SATA Controller Mode: Compatability (no longer AHCI)
    Boot Mode: CSM Boot (Not UEFI)
    This allows me to get further. When I turn on the laptop, I see a recovery screen. Choosing "Start Windows normally or any safe mode" leads me to the classic windows XP boot logo. Unfortunately, the screen immediately goes to a BSOD and promptly restarts no matter what I try. Pressing F8 and disabling auto restart i get the following error code: 0x0000007B (0xBACC3528,0xC0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000) This seems to be a disk error, SSD or AHCI issue possibly? I don't want to buy a disk, but I guess if that's the only solution I may.
    I also tried to run this SSD on my Toshiba Satellite C55-B laptop with an unsupported quad-core Intel Pentium N3530 @ 2.16GHz. I set the bios to CSM mode, the only legacy setting, only to get similar results, with the stop code 0x0000007E, leading to an ACPI error. I don't want XP on this laptop, but i just double checked to make sure the problem wasn't the SSD. It won't boot at all with my Ryzen 3 1200.
    I plan on using this as a spare pc, and I am aware of the security risks associated with XP. I know 32-bit limits me to 3.5gb ram, the system doesn't boot on 4gb ram either. I don't want to use VirtualBox/VMware. How do I get around this issue? I bet this is a sata issue but i am at the limits of my knowledge here. Please help me get the system booted with correct drivers, which i dont know how to slipstream into an existing VHD. Sorry about the wall of text, but im trying to be specific and understandable.

RyzenMaster, Mar 24, 2019
Ask a Question