How to extend microsoft support for XP to 2019

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by cigarband, Jan 9, 2016.

1. cigarband

cigarband

I have found something that you all might be interested in. I tryed it and it works.

you can extend support for xp by using a simple registry hack

Create a text document, and call it XP.reg. You’ll need to make sure .reg is the proper
    extension -- so not "XP.reg.txt". If it’s not showing up as a registry file, open any folder, go
    to Tools > Folder Options, select View and uncheck 'Show hidden files and folders'. That
    should fix the problem. OR just opened a DOS window and renamed xp.txt xp.reg.

Right-click the file, and select Edit. Paste in the following:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady]

"Installed"=dword:00000001

Save it, and then double-click the file. That will make that change to the registry. That’s all
    you need to do. Windows will now automatically fetch updates designed for POSReady 2009,
    ensuring XP remains protected for the foreseeable future.
    This trick only works for 32-bit editions of XP

cigarband, Jan 9, 2016
  2. cigarband

cigarband

It would be wise to make a full image of your windows xp installation first,
    just in case.

cigarband, Jan 10, 2016
  3. cigarband

eatup

HOW TO EXTEND XP TO 2020:

1. Most vulnerabilities in XP have already been discovered, so there is little patching left, if any.

2. Run Microsoft Security Essentials version 4.4.304.0, it will continue to receive new virus/spyware definitions until 2020.

3. Avoid IE at all costs. Use a modern browser such as FireFox 43.0.4.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
    eatup, Jan 12, 2016
  4. cigarband

Jody Thornton

Jody Thornton, Jan 13, 2016
  5. cigarband

jim davis

what do i need to do to get that version runing, I already am using security essentials.

jim davis, May 3, 2018
  6. cigarband

jim davis

ok
    everybody answer me at once.

jim davis, Jul 11, 2018
  7. cigarband

jim davis

eat up

your the best

jim davis, Jul 11, 2018
  8. cigarband

Elizabeth23

I was fooling around with an old laptop that only had a small bit of ram, so when I reinstalled xp, I did not install an antivirus before I went to microsoft updates and microsoft updates asked did I want to install mse, and I said yes, so it installed but would not update, so I downloaded the manual database update and it installed and mse was then green to go.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...the-latest-definition-updates-for-microsoft-s

Elizabeth23, Jul 11, 2018
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  9. cigarband

cmccaff1

Eatup got it on the nose--the only thing that dates his post is that Firefox 43 is the browser recommendation given. FF43, however, is actually still usable in 2018 given that Pale Moon and its forks are derived from 38ESR source code (I advise using Mypal, Centaury, or any other actively maintained Gecko-based browser instead, though, since no XP-compatible FF version is getting security updates anymore). XP should still be usable even beyond 2020 if you properly have your system set up for security & just use common sense (such as not clicking on links from people/companies you don't recognize, or going to online streaming sites [pure malware havens]).

cmccaff1, Sep 16, 2018
Ask a Question