How to do a clean install of Firefox 52.3.0?

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by trimis, Nov 8, 2020.

1. trimis

trimis

I uninstalled version 52.4.0, then installed 52.3.0, only to find that everything (profile, addons, etc.) was installed on it, which is not what I wanted. So I uninstalled 52.3.0, then nuked every file of Firefox I could find remaining. I re-installed Firefox 52.3.0, but when I try to open it from the desktop icon, I get a popup saying the profile could not be found, and nothing happens. I have uninstalled it again, and need to know how to start over from scratch with fresh profile, no addons, etc.

trimis, Nov 8, 2020
  2. trimis

Elizabeth23

every fresh install of firefox has a blank profile, if you have the profile folder in

C:\Documents and Settings\your name\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\various letters.default

if you kept the old folder then all your addons etc are there, but if you deleted this file (and the one in local settings VS application data, then it should open up with just regular firefox's clean setup. the popup is saying the above folder is not there and if it is a clean install then it will put the folder there upon install.

Elizabeth23, Nov 8, 2020
    trimis likes this.
  3. trimis

trimis

Problem solved. Turns out that even after uninstalling Firefox via both IObit and Comodo Programs Manager, plus using BleachBit to shred all the files both missed....there was still four files hidden away that the start/search function found. BleachBit then failed twice to delete them, so I had to delete them from the recycle bin. I was then able to re-install Firefox 52.3.0, clean and in working order. Firefox and Opera are like dang malware when it comes to giving either the boot, but at least I didn't have to pay the tech guy to purge it (like with Opera).

So now we will see if no bookmarks solves the real problem of why Firefox is sooooo shabby:
    1. Firefox has encountered a problem and needs to close.
    2. Firefox is not responding
    3. Firefox is still running (after having closed it).
    If not, it will be time to send that fox to the pound for some euthanasia. I managed to re-install Centaury, sans previous audio problem, so worst case scenario...Mypal and Centaury will be good enough. Would of liked to have gotten Basilisk, but another try at 7zip failed again!

trimis, Nov 8, 2020
  4. trimis

trimis

Postscript: Firefox just auto-updated itself to the latest possible version to work with XP, despite my turning off autoupdates, and various about:config changes. So "Problem solved" another way...Firefox just got the boot, and Mozilla Mothership got the 'forever birdie'. So far as I'm concerned, Firefox just 'jumped the shark' Fonzie-style.

trimis, Nov 9, 2020
  5. trimis

Elizabeth23

I always uninstall mozilla maintenance as this will stop auto updating, I do not rely on just turning auto updates off, :)

Elizabeth23, Nov 9, 2020
    trimis likes this.
  6. trimis

trimis

Yeah, I did custom install before without that, and it still auto-updated. So last night I was POed, and refused to let Mozilla Mothership win, without one last major blitzkrieg. I tried to re-install Firefox 52.4.0, but they blocked me, so I found alternate source (filehorse? filepuma?), but had to settle for version 52.0. (not esr). I downloaded it, pulled the phone plug, and installed it offline. Again a custom install without the tricky additives. I then went through the 'options', and then to 'about:config' for a line-by-line SAD (Search And Destroy) mission. I gutted it. Pretty much everything that even looked like the Mothership could use it against me got changed to false, or a number got switched. I then nuked pretty much every address it listed, pointing to Mozilla or their BFF Google.

I then went to bed, and gave Mozilla all night to do their worse. I'm using Firefox right now, and so far it is still version 50.0. Time will tell if I missed a backdoor, but so far so good. When I bring Win 7 online, I will definitely not have Firefox or Chrome, and will stick exclusively to derivatives. Took nearly an hour to comb through 'about:config'...no one should have to go to such extremes to stop idiots from remote-controlling any software, especially a browser. My previous assessment stands. Firefox has jumped the shark.

trimis, Nov 9, 2020
Ask a Question