How to create an image of the system drive C:

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by blockie, Sep 8, 2013.

1. blockie

blockie

I am working on my sons computer, which has two HDD's and the OS is XP Home version. How do I create an image of drive C: and put it on the extra HDD?. If I need to download a module that will allow me to create and restore an image,where do I get it? I understand that the Home version does not have an image capability but it can be added..

blockie, Sep 8, 2013
  2. blockie

Elizabeth23

Your best bet would be to get Acronis True Image to image your disc.

Elizabeth23, Sep 8, 2013
  3. blockie

blockie

I am usingg Acronis in my computer, W7, and like it. My son's computer is an XP Home and he doesn't want to spend the money on buying.
    I understand that the higher versions of XP has a way to create images and that the module can be installed in a Home version.

Bill

blockie, Sep 8, 2013
  4. blockie

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Sep 9, 2013
  5. blockie

blockie

Elizebeth23,
    Thanks for your help. I have been experimenting with Macrium Reflect on my W7 computer and like it. So much that I paid the $39 for it. So I installed the free version on my son's WXP computer. The only thing (I need and use) that the free version lacks is to delete old backups. I can do that manually.

The support I received from Acronis sucks. That's the main reason I switched to Macrium.
    Bill

blockie, Oct 18, 2013
  6. blockie

Elizabeth23

I am surprised to hear about the poor support from Acronis.
    It is highly recommended by other contributors, I personnally just reinstall the whole OS instead of creating an image since I do not have any extra money to purchase the system and the free one does not create an image.

I did try Macrium free one time but could not boot the image created. Hopefullly you will have better luck. :)

Elizabeth23, Oct 19, 2013
  7. blockie

blockie

Elizabeth23,
    I had good luck with the free one. Was able to create an image AND restore it. So I am using the free Macrium Reflect on two machines, one W7 and the other XP AND am able to restore on both. I bought Macrium for my W7.
    Bill

blockie, Oct 19, 2013
  8. blockie

rod222

I am new here, and a user not a techie, so my advice comes with that caveat.
    I bought an Avantec caddy, I unplug my HDD (case is always open)
    plop it in the caddy, add the blank extra HDD and "copy"

Took 47 minutes to copy my C drive sector by sector.
    Perhaps check it out online.
    Look for Nexstar HDD duplicator.

PS I have 28 subsidiary programs aboard, so the caddy gets around the problem of reinstalling software.

Be aware! the disk where the C drive is copied to, loses all/any data be very careful.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
    rod222, Nov 1, 2013
Ask a Question