How to add/rearrange items in Start menu?

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by jago45, Apr 8, 2013.

1. jago45

jago45

In Windows XP sp3 on an HP desktop, I'm trying to add and rearrange the items that appear when the Start button is clicked--not the basic ones like Settings, the various programs like IE. It seems this should be a simple task but nothing I do works, and the Help and Support service and index provide no help. For example, I'm trying to add "My Computer" to the menu (while leaving its icon on the desktop also) and move other programs I seldom use up or off the menu. Sorry if this is something elementary that I'm missing, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

jago45, Apr 8, 2013
  2. jago45

Elizabeth23

to show my computer on the start menu:

1. it is normally there by default
    2. right click on start button and choose properties
    3. click customize and choose advanced tab
    4. scroll down and under My Computer, choose display as link
    5. click apply and ok and restart pc.
    -------------------

in the left hand pane of start menu, any program you do not want there just right click and choose remove from this list.

------------------

if you do not want the recently used programs listed, right click on start menu, choose properties, click customize, and in the Programs box, ensure the number is zero.

----------------

if you want a program on the start menu, right click and choose pin to start menu.

I think that covers it, let me know.

Elizabeth23, Apr 8, 2013
  3. jago45

dperecky

I tried what I did in Win7 and it worked!! Hallelujah!

Just click and drag the icon onto the 'Start' button. It will then swim upwards and stop at the top of your Start Menu list, where other programs go when you click on "Send to Start Menu".

The reason I do this is because not all icons have the option to "Send to Start Menu" for some reason.

Like I said, this works for Win7 as well. But in Win7, I held the Ctrl key down when dragging. Don't know if that was necessary however.

dperecky, Dec 13, 2013
  4. jago45

dperecky

In looking around a bit, I found that for XP, if the Links Toolbar is display enabled on the Taskbar, folder shortcuts can be dragged there as well.

dperecky, Dec 13, 2013
Ask a Question