How network WinXP & Win10

Discussion in 'Windows XP Networking' started by phrab, Aug 21, 2018.

1. phrab

phrab

Let me start by saying that I know almost nothing about networking, other than I'm on a home network. I also read other posts, but don't know what to do to see if network is set at public or private (although I'm pretty sure it's private, as people need a password to use it) or how to find out if both are using the same Workgroup name. I don't know what that is, but read it in another post.

I have 2 computers...side by side...a Windows XP-SP3 machine & a Windows 10 machine. I have 2 printers in different rooms, & both machines are able to see both printers. I know I'm on a network because all iphones, ipad, wife & daughter's computers are wireless.

However, I can't get either one to see the other computer. I actually paid someone on Geek Squad to try to set up sharing between the machines. When he left, there was a shortcut on my WinXP machine that could see my Documents folder on the Win10 machine, but I don't know how he did it. He was unable to have the Win10 machine see my WinXP machine.

I had both machines off for a week. Then, after Win10 updated to Windows Creator (version 1803), the shortcut on WinXP no longer worked. I get a message "the drive or network connection that the shortcut XXX refers to is unavailable.

I tried to run the "Network Setup Wizard", but stopped it because I'm not sure that I should run the network setup wizard or the "Add Network Place" or Wireless network setup. And, since I can already access both printers, I'm afraid to run the Wireless network setup because it asks for a name & a key (see image) & I don't know if I already have these & if I'll lose my access to the printers.

I also read other posts, but don't know what to do to see if network is set at public or private (although I'm pretty sure it's private, as people need a password to use it) or how to find out if both are using the same Workgroup name. I don't know what that is, but read it in another post.

Sorry for the length of this post, but I have no idea what I'm doing. Could someone tell me, step by step, how to set up network sharing with my WinXP machine, so I can copy files back & forth between both machines, without losing my printers?

Thank you in advance! My Network Places.png Wireless Network Wizard.png

phrab, Aug 21, 2018
  2. phrab

Elizabeth23

https://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-xp-tips/share-files-between-windows-xp-and-windows-7-8-10/

read above and if you have further questions I will try to help

homegroup = win 7 and up
    workgroup = xp

xp cannot be a part of homegroup, but 7 and up can be part of a workgroup as I understand it.

there are many in this forum who understand networking better, hopefully they will jump in.

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1...j33i160k1j33i22i29i30k1j33i10k1.0.TlIQ64hvI_A

above search page has adding wireless printers, check out several threads,

Elizabeth23, Aug 21, 2018
  3. phrab

phrab

Thank you for your quick response. I appreciate your time. In reading the first link above, I found that my Win10 machine says WORKGROUP & my WinXP machine says MSHOME. Before I make the change, do you know if this will cause any problems with my printers. I can currently access both printers (from both machines) & don't want to lose that ability with my XP machine.

phrab, Aug 21, 2018
  4. phrab

Elizabeth23

I am not sure, I have no personal experience with network, but if you lose it by changing mshome to workgroup, then you should still be able to use printer or all you have to do is reinstall the printer the same way you did originally

5. phrab

phrab

I wasn't able to add the printer myself. I paid a guy from Geek Squad & he had trouble doing it. That's why I'm afraid to do something that I can't undo.:confused:

phrab, Aug 21, 2018
  6. phrab

Elizabeth23

7. phrab

phrab

Thank you again. Right now, I can use my printers, but as I said in my first post, I know virtually nothing about networking. So seeing a solution like "Add remote printer on XP machine via installing remote shared Win10 printer as local printer on XP machine connected thru local port: \\yourWin10machine\sharedPrinter" doesn't help. I don't know how to add or install a remote printer; I don't know what a local port is, etc.

I'm hoping someone with networking expertise can give me step by step instructions.

phrab, Aug 21, 2018
  8. phrab

Elizabeth23

Ask a Question