How long can one run XP SP3 with browser that works

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by ghorse, Aug 3, 2018.

1. ghorse

ghorse

Presently, I use Opera 12.18 and chrome 34, not supported anymore. Just wondering how long one can use XP with browser that reaches most websites. Sooner or latter, one must upgrade to current supported Operating system to reach all internet sites.

ghorse, Aug 3, 2018
    WindowsXPforever likes this.
  2. ghorse

Elizabeth23

I use firefox 52.9.0 ESR and I can reach any website I want.

Elizabeth23, Aug 3, 2018
    Overflow and WindowsXPforever like this.
  3. ghorse

Lockherup

I think this depends on how many people continue to use it. I don't see any major changes on the horizon that XP wouldn't be able to adapt to. Not officially but by way of people adding support on their own.

Lockherup, Aug 17, 2018
  4. ghorse

WindowsXPforever

Well theres are browser that will xp for life https://github.com/Feodor2/Mypal/releases

WindowsXPforever, Aug 17, 2018
    wyxchari likes this.
  5. ghorse

ghorse

With MS XP SP3, how does one reach most websites, when older browsers (Opera 12.18, Chorme 34, etc.) stop reaching secured money related websites (banking, investments, etc.). Also, I can't use Maxthon browser, for it requires pc to have SSE2 ability, as most older pcs running XP only have SSE1 ability. Eventually, user will have to upgrade pc and operating system. Please explain if I am incorrect.

ghorse, Aug 17, 2018
  6. ghorse

WindowsXPforever

XP Supports SSE2

WindowsXPforever, Aug 17, 2018
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  7. ghorse

Lockherup

You are correct if you are relying on MS or Adobe or some company like that to keep supporting you but if you do it on your own or as I mentioned enough people get together then support for anything is possible. XP can run a 2018 OS under a VM so really anything is possible and its just a matter of having the support and devs. I wouldn't change an OS for online banking, my situation may not be like everyone else but I actually closed online banking and if I got back on it I would still rather load up a live CD of linux for temp access before changing my OS.

Lockherup, Aug 18, 2018
  8. ghorse

wyxchari

After the end of the XP updates, I will continue using it because most of the security problems depend on the browser and not the operating system.

This browser will always be updated monthly and is that use since August 2018 that ended Firefox: https://github.com/Feodor2/Mypal/releases

wyxchari, Aug 26, 2018
    cmccaff1 and WindowsXPforever like this.
  9. ghorse

cmccaff1

I take it you're on a Pentium III-based PC, ghorse? I'm actually using a 2.8GHz Pentium 4 as my main PC (a 14-year-old HP Compaq DC5000 SFF; of course, it has been maxed out to 4GB of RAM and has a DVD+/-RW drive, both of which would have been major luxuries in 2004). I'm also using Opera 12.18 and I now use Mypal as well, thanks to wyxchari's recommendation! If I'm not mistaken there are forks of Pale Moon that make it possible to use it on a PC without SSE2. As long as your browsers are doing what you need them to do and are fast enough for your needs, then you should be golden. Of course, it helps to have at least one browser on your machine that's fairly up-to-date, but if you're tweaking for privacy/security and cleaning out your browsing data after a session, that can also go a long way towards keeping you safe on the Internet (as does turning off JavaScript when it is not necessary to have it on) whether your browser of choice was released in 2018 or 2008 (I'd think you would need a somewhat modern browser for a site like this, though; it looks like the menus & formatting are all done in HTML-5).

If I'm not mistaken, the best Intel processors on which XP can run with full driver support (if you know where to find all of the drivers) are from the Haswell (4th-generation Core) era. Those processors all support SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4, SSE4.1, and SSE4.2. Haswell-based Xeon processors support up to a whopping eighteen cores (the thought of running XP on an 18-core processor is jaw-dropping to imagine, but it should actually be possible).

cmccaff1, Sep 14, 2018
Ask a Question