How do you access a Win10 network from WinXP My Network Places?

Discussion in 'Windows XP Networking' started by rwhite1, Nov 2, 2017.

1. rwhite1

rwhite1

The Win10 computers can see and access the XP laptop, but the XP laptop cannot see the Win10 computers in "My Network Places". This seems to be a common problem with no workable solutions so far.

The XP computer can open an Explorer window to WIN10 computers by searching for them in the search box by name, e.g. \\Computer1.The event log shows ID 1003 (Can't renew DHCP address), 8021 (Unable to retrieve list of servers from Browser Master) and 8023 (Browser service failed to retrieve backup list), which is also common.

No comments about stop using XP please. That is not a viable alternative in this case.Thanks

rwhite1, Nov 2, 2017
  2. rwhite1

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Nov 2, 2017
  3. rwhite1

rwhite1

Hi, again!!

Yea, I've seen those posts and many more like them. The only consistent conclusion is that it's a bug in 1703, that it happened before a few years back on another update, and MS should get their act together. Others speculate that it's deliberate and MS is moving away from the legacy of NetBIOS browsing. But... no where have I seen a solution to get My Network Places and Explorer to show computers running cross version. The only workaround I've come up with is to put shortcuts on the Desktop to open Explorer using their IP addresses or share names.

BTW, I get down to Eugene often on my trips to Bend. There's a great restaurant down there I like called The Oregon Electric Company.

Ron

rwhite1, Nov 3, 2017
  4. rwhite1

Elizabeth23

sorry I could not help, I will keep searching.

=========

I will see if my family has heard of this place, the last time I was home was in 2002, :)

Elizabeth23, Nov 3, 2017
  5. rwhite1

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Nov 3, 2017
  6. rwhite1

rwhite1

Boy, you're tenacious.

1. I find these entries in the windows event log after each time I try to open "My Network Places\All Networks\Microsoft Windows" Network fails.

2. Workgroup does work on win 10. And it works well. That's what I've always used.

3. I didn't review all of the Google comments, but the first 3 pages are only focused on setting up a workgroup. I couldn't find anything that referred to using WinXP.

4. I haven't been able to find a solution anywhere. The consensus on the net seems to be that MS doesn't intend to fix it because the needed service has been deprecated. Since the computers are all still visible to each other by IP, I just worked around it by creating a shortcut on the Desktop with either of the following in the Location entry:

Explorer \\COMPUTERNAME or Explorer \\IPADDRESS (e.g. Explorer \\192.168.1.1)

5. Thank you for your help.

BTW, the little avatar is Chester.

Ron

rwhite1, Nov 4, 2017
  7. rwhite1

Elizabeth23

okay, maybe someone will be able to come up with a better solution, :)

Elizabeth23, Nov 4, 2017
  8. rwhite1

rwhite1

Well it took some time, but here's what finally did it:
    1. Disable "Computer Browser" on the win10 computers. They don't need it. They use Network Discovery.
    2. Enable "Computer Browser" on the WinXP computers. They use it. They don't understand Network Discovery".
    3. Turn on "Network Discovery" on the Win10 computers.
    4. Enable "File and Printer Sharing" on all computers' network adapters.
    5. Enable "NetBIOS over TCP/IP" in the WINS tab of the Win10 computers' network adapters.
    This worked on both W10-1703 and W10-1709.
    See Microsoft Support article "SMBv1 is not installed by default in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update and Windows Server, version 1709"

rwhite1, Feb 11, 2018
  9. rwhite1

Elizabeth23

Congratulations, you did great to figure out the issue, :)

Elizabeth23, Feb 11, 2018
    rwhite1 likes this.
Ask a Question