How do I install XP on a Lenovo X1 Carbon?

Discussion in 'Windows XP Installation and Setup' started by huludrock, Aug 26, 2014.

1. huludrock

huludrock

I have a client who wants XP installed on a Lenovo X1 Carbon. I am having a bit of trouble with the SATA AHCI drivers. I use nlite to slipstream and win to flash to create the install USB. These give me no problems, but it bluescreens when I try to install. Help!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
    huludrock, Aug 26, 2014
  2. huludrock

Elizabeth23

need more info, did you slipstream the correct sata drivers into the cd??

32bit or 64bit??

what is the blue screen error??

Elizabeth23, Aug 27, 2014
  3. huludrock

huludrock

I am using a 32 bit install disk (I know I will lose perfprmance)

blue screen is 0x0000007b

I used these drivers:

Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver
    exe
    545.688 KB Windows 7 (32-bit)
    Windows Vista (32-Bit)
    Windows XP (32-bit)

huludrock, Aug 27, 2014
  4. huludrock

Elizabeth23

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/migr-74431#systems

did you read all the instructions on this page??

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrormessage/a/stop0x0000007b.htm

read the above link on stop code error, but I will assume that it is due to the improper configuration of the sata controller.

at lenovo support, it states that using a floppy during install for raid setup is the only way to properly install sata drivers on a lenovo carbon x1 thinkpad.

but I have found no verification of this as I know that slipstreaming the drivers with nlite, does work, I will keep searching to see if this is the case.

On the page with the instructions check your bios to be sure it is set up properly for raid drivers, just because you installed them does not mean the bios has been properly set up for sata. the instruction page has what the bios should be set for sata.

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/107504-integration-of-intels-sata-ahci-and-raid-drivers/

above is a good link on how to integrate sata drivers, his guide is not in this thread, you will have to click on where he has typed this in blue, and where it will lead to his website and the guide there. which is the link below:

http://www.win-raid.com/t22f23-Integration-of-Intels-AHCI-RAID-drivers-into-a-Windows-XP-CD.html

Let me know if after reading you found that you did it either correctly or incorrectly.

and we can go from there.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  5. huludrock

huludrock

Unfortunately the BIOS has no options for AHCI or RAID. It's a brand new Lenovo that had Windows 8 on it.

huludrock, Aug 27, 2014
  6. huludrock

Elizabeth23

I see Hoov is helping you here

and I agree with his assessment on xp drivers, if you cannot find all the drivers for xp, then you will not be able to install xp.

If you get a solution from your other thread please post it here. Thanks.

7. huludrock

huludrock

Will do thank you

huludrock, Aug 27, 2014
  8. huludrock

huludrock

So heres how I installed Windows XP on a Lenovo X1Carbon type 20xx. Using Nlite, I slipstreamed the correct Chipset drivers so that XP could communicate with the SSD. I found the drivers exactly where you said they were! After that I made an install USB with Win to flash. Upon install, when XP asked if I needed to install any third party scsi or raid drivers, i pressed f7 which disables AHCI during install. You will lose functionality but it's the only way to do it. After the first reboot, I received the Hal.dll is missing error. I simply rebooted, chose to boot from the USB, and picked the second boot option, not the Hal debug option which will just result in a controller I/O error. The install completed successfully after that and now I just have to go about finding some drivers which may be difficult.

huludrock, Aug 29, 2014
  9. huludrock

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Aug 29, 2014
Ask a Question