HOW DO I COPY OR BACK UP C DRIVE WITHOUT COMP COMPLAINING

Discussion in 'Windows XP Hardware' started by jim davis, Apr 29, 2017.

1. jim davis

jim davis

HI FOLKS :)

well this is cool, a forum for folks who want to stay xp and not learn a new computer every 3 years.

I am trying to copy my c drive only to a 32 GB flash drive for safe keeping, but keep getting a window while copy in process that says such and such a file in use, close file and try again, file was called "file page" or something :eek::eek:

Also i tried using the back up utility to a flash drive but it wanted to copy all my documents too, so i canceled the back up utility.

could this be a bug????

thanks for help, and thanks for forum, great idea,

Dr, Dave :D

jim davis, Apr 29, 2017
  2. jim davis

Elizabeth23

you can boot to hiren's boot disc or any other boot disc and then copy your c drive as it will be unmounted.

but you will not be able to boot to a flash with just the c drive copied, you have to create a bootable image in order to restore you c drive just as it is.

Elizabeth23, Apr 29, 2017
  3. jim davis

jim davis

truly
    thank you Elizabeth,
    but i have no idea what your talking about.
    I just want a copy of the c drive program, so i can rip out the disk drive and put in another but younger used one, in case original get plunked in the trade over.
    un mounted??? boot to anywhere ???? hieroglyphics:eek::eek::eek::eek: to me

all over net i read folks copy their hard drive to a flash drive
    why not me

I already copied "Doc's, all 12 gb,,,,,, just want copy of hard drive
    and i am sorry, I do try to make time to learn all this stuff, but i am just not mentally equipped to go there, these are just facts.
    not trying to drive any one batty :confused::confused:

jim davis, Apr 29, 2017
  4. jim davis

Elizabeth23

they are not doing a copy they are transferring an image or cloning. read below and you can see several free programs , check out a few the best is acronis and it comes free with certain hard drives.

https://www.google.com/#q=free+cloning+programs+for+xp

after reading, check back, there are several with pictures and easy explanations, :)

Elizabeth23, Apr 29, 2017
  5. jim davis

jim davis

Thank you Elizabeth
    As I get this, one can not copy and paste a xp program and must make a image instead
    and transfer that to a CD R only??????

Any case, thanks again but I must back burner this for a day or 20, as I must fix my inability to simply copy a file disk issue, as when I choose anything to copy to a CDR, my machine says there is no clean disk in dvd cdr burner tray and will post same question else where here.

sorry again I took so long getting back here and thanks for all you do to help folks.

jim davis, May 21, 2017
  6. jim davis

Elizabeth23

you can copy files but NOT programs, an image will copy files and programs and system.\\

you can copy to a cdr or a cdrw or a flash drive.

check my reply to your other post. :)

Elizabeth23, May 21, 2017
Ask a Question