How do I access list of 'Boot Devices' at startup

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by Janice, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Janice

Janice

In my Asus P5LD2 running Windows XP, I used to be able to get at the Boot Devices list by pressing a 'hot key' at 'Post' during start up. I have forgotten what key I pressed during the Post message, for this purpose.

I am NOT looking for the Boot Options Menu which is opened by pressing F8 during Post. I am referring to the little window that opens, only showing the list of all the boot devices such as the Hard Disk, DVD Drives, USB Ports, so that I can click and select what I want to boot from, without opening the BIOS.

I just can't recollect what key I pressed to do this.

Janice, Aug 26, 2019
  2. Janice

Elizabeth23

restart computer and immediately start tapping the esc key to get to boot devices

Elizabeth23, Aug 26, 2019
  3. Janice

Janice

Thank you Elizabeth I tried this but it is not working for me. The computer ignores this and continue to boot from the hard disk which is the default boot device in BIOS.

Janice, Aug 26, 2019
  4. Janice

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Aug 26, 2019
  5. Janice

Janice

Yes, it is not in the manual but it was possible to do. I discovered this some time back quite by accident when doing something else at start up. I should have written it down at that time!

Janice, Aug 27, 2019
  6. Janice

ClippyBeer

It almost sounds as if that is exactly what you're asking for. There are lots of Youtube videos for ASUS models such as yours that show by pressing F8 a window pops up with a list of boot devices allowing you to use the cursor keys to select which one to boot from WITHOUT opening the BIOS.

https://images.app.goo.gl/zdYHMsMjg1FqbEzV8

ClippyBeer, Aug 27, 2019
  7. Janice

Janice

@ClippyBeer, Thank you for the link. Seems to have a lot of valuable information.

@Elizabeth23, I found the trick by trial and error. At the initial screen that shows the Asus logo I pressed the Tab to display the Post message and then pressed F8 which brought out the Boot Devices window. As you noted this is not in the manual.

Janice, Aug 27, 2019
Ask a Question